Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talking evaporation

Climatologist study the role of solar enery in the cycle. They're mainly concerned with the atmospheric phase of the cycle - how solar energy drives the cycle through the ... uh ... processes of evaporation, atmospheric circulation. and precipitation. Water is continuously absorbed into the atmosphere as vapor - evaporation- and returned to the earth as rain, hail, or snow - precipitaion. (Hi, everybody! I found two definitions for "evaporation" in the dictionary - 1. the act or process of evaporating. 2. matter evaporated in vapor. evaporation definition | Dictionary.com Could you have a look for me, which one do you think that would be better for this context? Thank you so much!! ) The amount of water evaporating from oceans exceeds precipitation over oceans, and the excess water vapor is moved by wind to the land. ... ...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Smile Re: evaporation

Hey
    Not a teacher opinion...

But I would say that the correct definition could be: The process by which water changes into water vapors is called Evaporation.

Hope this may be of some help.

Thanks for reading my response.

Re: evaporation

Quote Originally Posted by Simar Kharbanda View Post
    Hey
    Not a teacher opinion...

But I would say that the correct definition could be: The process by which water changes into water vapors is called Evaporation.

Hope this may be of some help.

Thanks for reading my response.
    Hi, Simar Kharbanda,

Thanks for your kind reply! I appreciate it !

But I prefer the definition 2 - matter evaporated in vapor. Because in this sentence, "Water is continuously absorbed into the atmosphere as vapor - evaporation- and returned to the earth as rain, hail, or snow - precipitaion." the word "vapor" is followed by a dash, which we usually use to separate an afterthought from the rest of the sentence, that is to say, "vapor" and "evaporation" are equivalent in this sentence.

But I am not sure about this, that is why I asked this question here. I can not figure it out!!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by IMPSX-UE View Post
    Hi, Simar Kharbanda,

Thanks for your kind reply! I appreciate it !

But I prefer the definition 2 - matter evaporated in vapor. Because in this sentence, "Water is continuously absorbed into the atmosphere as vapor - evaporation- and returned to the earth as rain, hail, or snow - precipitaion." the word "vapor" is followed by a dash, which we usually use to separate an afterthought from the rest of the sentence, that is to say, "vapor" and "evaporation" are equivalent in this sentence.

But I am not sure about this, that is why I asked this question here. I can not figure it out!!
    Not a teacher,
    Yes, I agree. In this sentence this meant "matter or the quantity of matter evaporated or passed off in vapor."

The amount of water evaporating from oceans exceeds precipitation over oceans, and the excess water vapor is moved by wind to the land
    We have the subject, water, 'evaporating', the verb, tells us what that water is doing.

I would refer to what has been evaporated as the vapor. Once it has condensed, it would be the condensate. It seems wrong to me to refer to the vapor as the evaporate, since the very word means turn into vapor.

Hello, hanky and thod00,

Thanks a lot for looking at my question!!!

"Water is continuously absorbed into the atmosphere as vapor - evaporation- and returned to the earth as rain, hail, or snow - precipitaion."

I guess I am confused about this even more now, since I found another definition for "precipitation", precipitation definition | Dictionary.com which shows that "precipitation also has meaning of "the act of precipitating ( to fall to the earth's surface as a condensed form of water; to rain, snow,etc.)"

If "precipitation" can refer to "the act of precipitating", then I guess we can also get "evaporation" as "the act of evaporating", both of them are used to summarize the sentence before the dash.

But, if we get "vaporation" as "the matter vaporated in vapor; vapor", and "precipitation" as "rain, snow, etc. that falls". As we were discussing, I think they are also reasonable for this context. Then...

... puzzled ...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Climatologist study the role of solar enery in the cycle. They're mainly concerned with the atmospheric phase of the cycle - how solar energy drives the cycle through the ... uh ... processes of evaporation, atmospheric circulation. and precipitation. Water is continuously absorbed into the atmosphere as vapor - evaporation- and returned to the earth as rain, hail, or snow - precipitaion. (Hi, everybody! I found two definitions for "evaporation" in the dictionary - 1. the act or process of evaporating. 2. matter evaporated in vapor. evaporation definition | Dictionary.com Could you have a look for me, which one do you think that would be better for this context? Thank you so much!! ) The amount of water evaporating from oceans exceeds precipitation over oceans, and the excess water vapor is moved by wind to the land. ... ...
    I am a bit confused by the confusion! The definition of evaporation is contained in the excerpt you quote:

Water is continuously absorbed into the atmosphere as vapor - evaporation

If I were required to use a dictionary's wording, I would choose the definition that comes closest to this perfectly adequate one.

Petra

Quote Originally Posted by pyoung View Post
    I am a bit confused by the confusion! The definition of evaporation is contained in the excerpt you quote:

Water is continuously absorbed into the atmosphere as vapor - evaporation

If I were required to use a dictionary's wording, I would choose the definition that comes closest to this perfectly adequate one.

Petra
    Hi, pyoung,

Sorry, I made you more confused!

Okay, is this what you wanted to tell me?

Water is continuously absorbed into the atmosphere as vapor -evaporation ("evaporation" here means "the act of evaporating [to change liquid to vapor]", which is used to summarize the whole sentence before the dash.) - and returned to the earth as rain, hail, or snow - precipitaion. (and "precipitation" here means "the act of precipitating [to to fall to the earth's surface as a condensed form of water; to rain, snow,etc.]", which is also used as a summary of what has gone before, I mean, the whole sentence - "and returned to earth as rain, hail, or snow.)

Does it make sense to you this time? let me know, pyoung!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Hi, pyoung,

Sorry, I made you more confused!

Okay, is this what you wanted to tell me?

Water is continuously absorbed into the atmosphere as vapor -evaporation ("evaporation" here means "the act of evaporating [to change liquid to vapor]", which is used to summarize the whole sentence before the dash.) - and returned to the earth as rain, hail, or snow - precipitaion. (and "precipitation" here means "the act of precipitating [to to fall to the earth's surface as a condensed form of water; to rain, snow,etc.]", which is also used as a summary of what has gone before, I mean, the whole sentence - "and returned to earth as rain, hail, or snow.)

Does it make sense to you this time? let me know, pyoung!

Dear IMPSX-UE:

I was just wondering why the question seemed so complex and difficult. Within the text you quote, there is a perfectly serviceable definition of evaporation:

Water is continuously absorbed into the atmosphere as vapor -evaporation

I just wondered why this definition couldn't be used.

Petra

Water absorbed into the atmosphere as vapor -evaporation
    As you are aware the molecules of the liquid are in motion. Those that move fast enough and are near the surface fly off, leaving the liquid. They would do this regardless of the air, they would do this in a vacuum. So it isn't the air that is sucking the molecules out, it is a property of the water itself. When the molecules leave that they go into the air because it just happens to be there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast