Conventions for documentation

Hi there.
    My question is regarding conventions for documentation? Can I include additional material in the same parentheses that enclose the date of publication? Or should I open another pair of parenthesis?

Context:
    The output ratio is fully charaterized by the value of interporal elasticity of substituition, a concept introduced by Sthephens (1998; IES from now on).

Thank you.
    L

Re: Conventions for documentation

You will have read lots of papers, just copy their style. I would never go beyond a single level of parenthesis, it just becomes unreadable.

You would usually expect to find the citations at the end of the document with just a marker in the text. The text has to be readable and mentioning names, studies and dates in the body of the text detracts from the readability of the article. If I really disagreed with something you said, I would follow your source, otherwise I take your word for it and continue reading.

Re: Conventions for documentation

Hi, Thod, and thanks for your reply.
    In my case, the paper was written by someone else, and this is how he phrased it:
    Context:
    The output ratio is fully charaterized by the value of interporal elasticity of substituition, a concept introduced by Sthephens (1998) (IES from now on).

I was thinking about including all the information in one set of parenthesis.