• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

elsewhere

What's the difference between elsewhere and somewhere else?

Could you give me sentences where elsewhere will do but not somewhere else?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: elsewhere

Here are two examples where you should use "elsewhere":

- The average roughneck has worked on oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico, the North Sea, and elsewhere. (In this case, "elsewhere" means "in other places," not "in some other place".)
    - The cookbook has a recipe for chicken stew. Elsewhere in the cookbook there is also a recipe for dumplings.

"Elsewhere" would not be wrong, but it would sound a bit funny, in a sentence like the following:

- My mother thought I was with my father, and my father thought I was with my mother, but I was somewhere else.

"Elsewhere" is not a word I use very much. I would normally say, in the first two examples:

- The average roughneck has worked on oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico, the North Sea, and other oilfields.
    - The cookbook has a recipe for chicken stew. It also includes a recipe for dumplings.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Speedwell View Post
    Here are two examples where you should use "elsewhere":

- The average roughneck has worked on oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico, the North Sea, and elsewhere. (In this case, "elsewhere" means "in other places," not "in some other place".)
    - The cookbook has a recipe for chicken stew. Elsewhere in the cookbook there is also a recipe for dumplings.

"Elsewhere" would not be wrong, but it would sound a bit funny, in a sentence like the following:

- My mother thought I was with my father, and my father thought I was with my mother, but I was somewhere else.

"Elsewhere" is not a word I use very much. I would normally say, in the first two examples:

- The average roughneck has worked on oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico, the North Sea, and other oilfields.
    - The cookbook has a recipe for chicken stew. It also includes a recipe for dumplings.
    No, now that you mention it, elsewhere doesn't sound very Texan. But as a New Englander, I can assure you that it's used more elsewhere!

=O]