relative clause, in which, of which, with which

Status
Not open for further replies.

leungss

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello, I have some questions regarding sentences with in which, in whom, of which, of whom, with which, with whom, etc.

Eg. In which it is proved that one does not always think of everything.

Eg. The way it works is that the judge has a computer-generated list from which he calls the first twelve citizens from the venire, and they take seats in the jury box.

Eg. The second method is the preemptory challenge, of which each attorney is given a limited supply, depending on the type of the case and charges.

when do I use in, of, or with?? Can someone plz elaborate on this topic? Thank you.

Luizao

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Think about what those relative clauses are referring to....
and that should tell you which preposition you will need/ it collocates with.

i,e; a) I gather youre talking about an experiment or research.
So you could prove something IN an experiment..

b) its a list. So you will call people FROM that list

c) you wll be given a supply/amount OF someting

Try...

The cup, ____ which I drank, was chipped.

The room, ___ which I lived, has been rented out.

think about it like this;

The cup, which I drank ____, was chipped.

The room, which I lived ____, has been rented out

its the same

leungss

Member Type
Student or Learner
thanks for the reply. I still have problems discerning which verb is the proposition related to.

eg. Elliot did not return calls for comment for this story and has avoided speaking to the media, except for one press conference after his arrest, in which he vehemently denied involvement in the murders and mourned the loss of his wife.

in the example above, which verb should pair with the proposition "in"? And why the relative clause "in which" does not follow directly after the word conference, since it's what the relative clause refers to? (I thought there is a rule that the relative clause has to follow the object it's refering to)

thanks.

Jaskin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Hello,
Note not a teacher,
In the example above, which verb should pair with the proposition "in"?
It doesn't have to be a verb, as you noticed :
the word conference, since it's what the relative clause refers to?
Elliot did not return calls for comment for this story and has avoided speaking to the media, except for one press conference after his arrest, in which he vehemently denied involvement in the murders and mourned the loss of his wife.

The underline fragment is, as you probably know, adverb of time and the italic one is relative clause. Now if you compare the amount of information in each you easily notice that the relative clause is longer.
Check for the end-weight rule.

Cheers.

Last edited:

David L.

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
...except for one press conference after his arrest, in which he vehemently denied involvement in the murders and mourned the loss of his wife.

in the example above, which verb should pair with the proposition "in"?

The preposition does not refer to a verb. Firstly, 'which' is a relative pronoun and refers back to the 'press conference' - a 'press conference...at which he (said he was innocent)." He attended this conference in person, and 'at' expresses the idea of location, as in 'he learnt it at school', 'you'll find him at the Red Lion pub." 'he gave a lecture at the university'
If he had released a written statement to the press, then it would be..."in which ( he protested his innocence) since these words would be contained in the statement.

Last edited:

David L.

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
leungss:Well, from my experience, I think it's acceptable to in the press conference.

Then learn media speak instead of posting here, asking us to help with grammatically clear English!

You are referring to two different things:
what someone said 'at' a press conference
and
how Obama presented himself as forceful and angrier (in his deameanour) in the press conferencce

Last edited:

leungss

Member Type
Student or Learner
leungss:Well, from my experience, I think it's acceptable to in the press conference.

Then learn media speak instead of posting here, asking us to help with grammatically clear English!

You are referring to two different things:
what someone said 'at' a press conference
and
how Obama presented himself as forceful and angrier (in his deameanour) in the press conferencce

thanks for the reply. Didn't mean to be rude, I just meant I had seen such expression in novels, newspaper, etc. :-D good day to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.