Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Oct 2008
    • Posts: 3,110
    #1

    Wouldn't like

    Hallo everyone,
    I know that "wouldn't like" is not so polite when speaking ( and it should be "don't want" to be polite). My question: During the teaching time, does a teacher need to be polite? can he say "wouldn't like" instead of "don't want"?

    I asked this because I just attended a class that teaches people how to give a good formal talk and the teacher used both "would like" and "wouldn't like". I thought that he used "would like" because he wanted to be polite, but continuing this way I didn't get why he also used "wouldn't like". There are two possibilities: the first one is that "wouldn't like" is polite enough and the second one is that he doesn't know that is impolite.

    Could you please make a comment on this?



    Thanks for your help.

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #2

    Re: Wouldn't like

    Quote Originally Posted by hanky View Post
    Hallo everyone,
    I know that "wouldn't like" is not so polite when speaking ( and it should be "don't want" to be polite). My question: During the teaching time, does a teacher need to be polite? can he say "wouldn't like" instead of "don't want"?

    I asked this because I just attended a class that teaches people how to give a good formal talk and the teacher used both "would like" and "wouldn't like". I thought that he used "would like" because he wanted to be polite, but continuing this way I didn't get why he also used "wouldn't like". There are two possibilities: the first one is that "wouldn't like" is polite enough and the second one is that he doesn't know that is impolite.

    Could you please make a comment on this?



    Thanks for your help.
    Why do you think that 'wouldn't like' is impolite and 'don't want' is polite?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Oct 2008
    • Posts: 3,110
    #3

    Re: Wouldn't like

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Why do you think that 'wouldn't like' is impolite and 'don't want' is polite?
    Well, Isn't it? That is what I have been taught. I am not a teacher of English or native English speaker but I know that "would like" is more polite than "want" and therefore logically, negative of "would like" must be less polite than that of "want".

    So, what would you say then?

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #4

    Re: Wouldn't like

    Neither one nor the other is more or less polite.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Oct 2008
    • Posts: 3,110
    #5

    Re: Wouldn't like

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Neither one nor the other is more or less polite.

    So, you meant that there is no way to be polite?

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #6

    Re: Wouldn't like

    It is true to say that 'I would like' is more polite than 'I want', but with 'I don't want' and 'I wouldn't like' there is not really any such distinction in most circumstances.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Oct 2008
    • Posts: 3,110
    #7

    Re: Wouldn't like

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    It is true to say that 'I would like' is more polite than 'I want', but with 'I don't want' and 'I wouldn't like' there is not really any such distinction in most circumstances.
    Maybe in America, there is a big difference in saying "I wouldn't like" and "I don't want"?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Nov 2008
    • Posts: 1,032
    #8

    Re: Wouldn't like

    Both to say "would you like/wouldn't you like" or do you "want/don't want" imply there is choice available.

    Would you like to clean up your room?
    Do you want to clean up your room?

    Both, to my child would imply that he/she has a choice. However, I feel that if I said "I want you to clean up your room" there is more of a demand than a choice given.

    I feel that in most instances "would like" is more polite.

    The other thing to consider, again if a child/teenager is asked "Would you like to clean up your room?" there could very well be a very sarcastic answer "No, I wouldn't LIKE to clean up my room." tone of voice makes a big difference then.

  4. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #9

    Re: Wouldn't like

    Quote Originally Posted by Searching for language View Post
    Both to say "would you like/wouldn't you like" or do you "want/don't want" imply there is choice available.

    Would you like to clean up your room?
    Do you want to clean up your room?

    Both, to my child would imply that he/she has a choice. However, I feel that if I said "I want you to clean up your room" there is more of a demand than a choice given.

    I feel that in most instances "would like" is more polite.

    The other thing to consider, again if a child/teenager is asked "Would you like to clean up your room?" there could very well be a very sarcastic answer "No, I wouldn't LIKE to clean up my room." tone of voice makes a big difference then.
    If your child said ' No, I don't want to clean up my room' it is not more polite.

  5. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,221
    #10

    Re: Wouldn't like

    Quote Originally Posted by hanky View Post
    Maybe in America, there is a big difference in saying "I wouldn't like" and "I don't want"?
    No, there's not.

    No thanks, I don't care for any - that's polite.
    No, I don't want that! - that's not very polite. But as has already been stated, tone of voice can add more meaning than word choice.

    How did you hear the teacher using it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •