Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Came to

Hi,

I have a sentence by "I was trying this equation many times, but I could not. Suddenly, the solution came to me in this night".

Is it safe to use "came to" there?

Best wishes.

Re: Came to

It is a good use.

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    It is a good use.
    Hi Anglika,

Thanks.

"I was trying this equation many times, but I could not. Suddenly, the solution came to me in this night".

I was trying to solve this equation all night, and couldn't; and it suddenly came to me.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by LeUyenHoc View Post
    Hi,

I have a sentence by "I was trying this equation many times, but I could not. Suddenly, the solution came to me in this night".

Is it safe to use "came to" there?

Best wishes.
    Hi LeUyenHoc,

As everyone above in the thread has noted, “Suddenly, the solution came to me …” is good usage. The added prepositional phrase “in this night, however, does not work so well here. And yet the image itself is definitely fitting.

May I suggest instead the following:

I was trying this equation many times without success, when suddenly, at what appeared to be the darkest point of the night, the solution came to me.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    "I tried this equation many times, but I could not solve it. Suddenly, the solution came to me last night".

I was trying to solve this equation all night, and couldn't; and it suddenly came to me. I think this might the original meaning. Also, just to clean it up, inserting a semicolon requires getting rid of the comma after "night" and the "and" after the semicolon.
    But what I don't know could fill a book....

Hi David L., Monticello, Charlie Bernstein,

I do love your suggestions. Thank you very much.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

And thanks for the thumbs up, LeUyenHoc.

Are you a mathematician?

Quote Originally Posted by Monticello View Post
    And thanks for the thumbs up, LeUyenHoc.

Are you a mathematician?
    Thank you very much for your care!

I am going to, but a researcher. It seems hard to be a mathematician. This forum helps me so much since my writing is not professional.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Hi LeUyenHoc,

I just started posting here only a few days ago. But it doesn't surprise me at all to read in your last post about how much these forums are helping you. From the little that I have seen so far at this site, I am very impressed with the sharing of knowledge and the positive online community that this site is nurturing.

Take heart about your progress in English. Right now I'm studying Spanish through an online course, so I know what it's like to struggle with new constructions, idioms, pronunciations, etc.

Regarding my curiosity about your math background: The sentence that you constructed and posted for review (and which initiated this thread) just seemed as if it had been written by someone who has a natural ability for math. - That is, your description of a lengthy struggle with an equation (during the night -- no less), followed by a sudden and unexpected burst of inspiration that provides a solution, is the typical experience described by all mathematicians. So you must "have the gift"! (That is, you must have a natural talent for mathematics.)

Good luck with your studies in math -- and English too!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast