about the

difference between these two one..
    1.the cover of a book....(somebody tell me that the word the is a must)
    2.teenagers will become burdens of society.....(why the is omitted)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: about the

Articles are very difficult.

A paper is on the floor. This is singular, and it's not a paper we've talked about before. At this point,it could be any paper because we have not defined it.

Papers are on the floor. This is plural, but they are still not papers we've talked about before. You don't need an article with a plural, non-defined noun. They could be any papers.

The paper is on the floor. This is singular, and it refers to a specific paper that we've either just been discussing or are about to define. It refers to one specific paper.

The papers are on the floor. This is plural, but it refers to the specific papers we've just talked about or are about to define.

Now your examples:
    The cover of the a book - we have just defined which cover we mean, so it's definite.

Burdens to society - this is plural, but there are other burdens to society besides these. It remains indefinite, and therefore, as a plural, indefinite noun, it doesn't require an article.

{not a teacher}

Re: about the

1.the cover of a book....(somebody tell me that the word the is a must)

1.The cover of a book....(somebody told me that the word, "the", is a must.)