• Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

hit the mark

Hi

Can "hit the mark" mean "to understand"?

EG: This is a serious piece of work but you need to be at the peak of your powers, across a few disciplines, to hit the mark.

--- I understand that in order to understand (hit the mark) this work you really have to be eductaed in different fields.

cheers

Re: hit the mark

To be successful.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

"to be successful"? So what does it mean in the context of the whole sentence?

Maybe: This is a serious work and you have to be at the peak of your powers, across a few disciplines, to do it well (to be successful)

I don't know what that serious work is, and what the outcome might be, so I can't be precise.

But:
    This is a serious work and you have to be at the peak of your powers, across a few disciplines, to excel.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by GUEST2008 View Post
    Hi

Can "hit the mark" mean "to understand"?

EG: This is a serious piece of work but you need to be at the peak of your powers, across a few disciplines, to hit the mark.

--- I understand that in order to understand (hit the mark) this work you really have to be eductaed in different fields.

cheers
    'the mark' is the object of 'hit' - 'hit the mark' can't have another. To hit the mark you have to do something. But 'the mark' isn't physical - in the metaphorical use you are looking for; if it were physical modern English would prefer the word 'target' - 'the marksman hit the target'.

A person who is trying to find a good explanation 'hits the mark' when he does. He also 'hits the nail on the head'.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

All correct. The mark is the bullseye on a target. It's what you're aiming at. It's your goal.

To hit it is to reach your goal, to succeed, to accomplish what you set out to do, to win.

So your sample sentence is saying that it takes serious scholarship to succeed.

Actually, the only strange thing about the sentence is the word but. Since there's affirmation, not contradiction, I would have used so.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

Hi

Actually now I'm wondering what the overall meaning of this whole sentence is. I understand "hit the mark" now and thanks for that.

That's the context:

On our previous album there is the same argument but with a different person. It's a lovers' row. On the new album this is an argument with love itself, if you believe, as I do, that God is love. That is the continuum. THAT IS A SERIOUS PIECE OF WORK BUT YOU NEED TO BE AT THE PEAK OF YOUR POWERS, ACROSS A FEW DISCIPLINES, TO HIT THE MARK. It's not enough to write great lyric, it's not enough to have a good idea, lots of things have to come together...

--- I understand that their last album was a serious work and, maybe the rest of this sentence says that you have to know that album deeply, you have to understand its lyrics and only then will you succeed, only then will you understand its whole meaning.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by GUEST2008 View Post
    On our previous album there is the same argument but with a different person. It's a lovers' row. On the new album this is an argument with love itself, if you believe, as I do, that God is love. That is the continuum. THAT IS A SERIOUS PIECE OF WORK BUT YOU NEED TO BE AT THE PEAK OF YOUR POWERS, ACROSS A FEW DISCIPLINES, TO HIT THE MARK. It's not enough to write great lyric, it's not enough to have a good idea, lots of things have to come together...
    The writer is saying that you have to be brilliant to understand the album. If you don't like it, it's because you're stupid. This sounds like a bunch of defensive, narcissistic paranoia to me. This is an artist who can't take criticism. Worst of all, it's poorly written. (See but versus so, above.)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

You're right Charlie. I've been wondering why he used "but" instead of "so". Thank you for your help!