• Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • Sri Lanka
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Usage of Semicolon

Dear friends,

I'm confuse regarding the usage of semicolons. Can somebody tells me is it right to use semicolons to separate or join many complete sentences ? For example : I don't like politically correct leaders; I don't like leaders who change their views too often; I don't like leaders who can't endure media pressure and give up their convictions under pressure;...

Will it be right to use semicolons in these situation ? I believe yes, but if it's wrong to use then pls explain why is it so. I'm pretty confuse regarding damn punctuation rules.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Usage of Semicolon

Quote Originally Posted by razer View Post
    Dear friends,

I'm confuse regarding the usage of semicolons. Can somebody tells me is it right to use semicolons to separate or join many complete sentences ? For example : I don't like politically correct leaders; I don't like leaders who change their views too often; I don't like leaders who can't endure media pressure and give up their convictions under pressure;...

Will it be right to use semicolons in these situation ? I believe yes, but if it's wrong to use then pls explain why is it so. I'm pretty confuse regarding damn punctuation rules.
    Very strictly speaking, you'd use commas in that series if the final item starts with and, and you'd use semicolons if it doesn't.

However, the rules governing semicolons are somewhat loose. The most important thing is to be consistent.

Semicolons are more common in British writing than in American. In American writing, they're considered somewhat poetic, artsy, old-fashioned, frilly. You'd have a hard time finding one in an American newspaper article, for instance.

So in your example, an American editor would be likely to either use commas (even if there is no and in front of the last item) or break it up into separate sentences.

[I edit copy and have tutored college writing.]

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by razer View Post
    Dear friends,

I'm confused regarding the usage of semicolons. Can somebody tells me is it right to use semicolons to separate or join many complete sentences ? For example : I don't like politically correct leaders; I don't like leaders who change their views too often; I don't like leaders who can't endure media pressure and give up their convictions under pressure;...

Would it be right to use semicolons in these situations ? I believe yes, but if it's wrong to use then pls explain why is it so. I'm pretty confused regarding damn punctuation rules.
    Yes it's ok bhai.

Semicolons separate 2 independent (but related) clauses. For example,

I want to eat at the pizza place; It's to far away.

They are related, and if you want to you can substitute "but," for the ";".

I want to eat at pizza place, but its to far away.

I know it can be confusing. You really don't even need semicolons, but as Charlie put it, they are often used to add "artistic flair" to writing. Check out my wife's blog for a better explanation. She posted a very detailed article on semicolons. The link is below:

The Horrific Semicolon and How to Use it | (un)Enlightened English

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

> I want to eat at the pizza place; It's to far away.

I wouldn't capitalize "It" after the semicolon. The sentence
    hasn't been ended at the ';'; it still continues.

True Victor, my bad ... typo