Toilet vs Bathroom

From what I've read and heard, it seems that Americans prefer to use 'bathroom' and Britons prefer to say 'toilet.'

What if I ask an American where the toilet is? Would he be offended for example?

And if I asked an Englishman where the bathroom is, would there be a misunderstanding?

Re: Toilet vs Bathroom

Brits are familiar with American euphemisms.

If it was said at work there is no bathroom present so they would direct them to the toilets. I can see it being different if they were visiting someones home though, then there is a bathroom present. I can see people giving them an odd look, wondering why they want to see the bathroom, until it clicks.

OK, I see, thanks thod. What about Americans and toilet?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by stefan_kar View Post
    From what I've read and heard, it seems that Americans prefer to use 'bathroom' and Britons prefer to say 'toilet.'

I thought Britons called it the WC.
    In the U.S. we say bathroom or john if it's in a home, and restroom, men's room, or women's room if it's in a public place.

What if I ask an American where the toilet is? Would he be offended for example? No, not at all.

And if I asked an Englishman where the bathroom is, would there be a misunderstanding? Beats me!
    [I edit copy and have tutored college writing.]

I thought Britons called it the WC.
    I have heard that too. The problem is, I having never heard anyone call it that in all my years.

The toilet is the most common, then I would guess the loo. We have a whole raft of other words too, including the American ones, lavatories, latrines etc.

Just found this in Wikipedia:

"The word toilet itself may be considered an impolite word in the United States, whilst elsewhere the word is used without any embarrassment."

Toilet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And this:

room containing a toilet (US:restroom)
    "Do you need to use the toilet?" is perfectly acceptable in UK but "uncomfortable" in American English"

and

room, in a home or hotel room, containing a toilet, related washing facilities, and often, but not necessarily, a shower and/or bathtub (Hence "Going to the bathroom" is a euphemism for going to the toilet even in a setting where one would not expect to find a bath, e.g. a restaurant or shop *)

List of words having different meanings in British and American English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia