Have been asked to teach German children.

Good morning to all readers. I AM NOT A TEACHER, but I have been asked to help the children of various neighbours in improving their English conversational skills. All of the children speak quite good English at the moment, but only whilst reading aloud from books. Their ability to form sentences when speaking openly is not quite so good. I am prepared to teach them one-on-one, and I would really like some advice as to the best way to go about this. Their ages range from 11 /14.
    Please could you offer some advice ?.

Re: Have been asked to teach German children.

How much are they understanding of what they read, that is, how much vocabulary do they have?
    Have they been taught grammar, so that they know how sentences are formed? (Fortunately, German and English grammar are very similar.)

Hi David, they all appear to understand the basic rules of English grammar, but not the composition of sentences fully. I find them all keen to learn and am eager to do whatever I can to help them. Thanks.

What ideas have you come up with for kick-starting conversation practice?
    Last edited by David L.; 23-Feb-2009 at 00:58.

David, I have asked each to describe the " usual " things. Name, ages, Father and Mothers occupations, other family members, and their own interests and hobbies. This is when the hesitation creeps in.
    I have tried simple conversational topics whilst introducing grammar, and have fully explained the FPP tenses during the conversation. They all appear to grasp the tenses OK and make few errors when using them.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

I am also not a teacher.................

Have you thought of music? At the ages that you mention, they will be into Myley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers. Take the lyrics to the music and work with the children to discuss, dissect, improve them gramatically. That will probably interest them more than explaining Mom and Dad's jobs.

Ich wünsche Ihnen viel Spass dabei!
    Last edited by Searching for language; 22-Feb-2009 at 19:02. Reason: spelling

Vielen dank.!!! LOL.

In free expression, the tendency is to think in the native language, and translate as we speak, whereas the way we learnt our native language was by hearing and repetition.

To do this, and make it interesting and fun, why not find a book of jokes where the joke is about a paragraph long, like an anecdote with a punch-line. Give each student a joke to learn by heart overnight, that they then tell the class. Get the student to tell it again... and then ask other students to tell the joke as they remember it. They get to hear the same words/sense of the joke a few times - 'the repetition' -; and by repeating the joke they have heard, you obviate the 'translating', and are 'forcing' them to remember and speak in the language being learned!

If you can find ways of extending that idea with other than jokes, such as a paragraph on some historical event, some news about an upcoming rock concert...

Many thanks David. Seems like a good idea.

Not so sure about the music hint. Doubt that they would remember Guy Mitchell, Frankie Laine and Johhny Ray. It'a an age thing. LOL.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by kitosdad View Post
    Many thanks David. Seems like a good idea.

Not so sure about the music hint. Doubt that they would remember Guy Mitchell, Frankie Laine and Johhny Ray. It'a an age thing. LOL.
    Those three are but a faint memory even for someone as old as I am! They would also probably be very aware of Hilary Duff.