Please check my mistake-correction exercise

Please check my following exercise. My task is to find and correct all mistakes found in the passage. I have underlined incorrect words and corrected them below the passage.
    The relationship between tourism and crime have long been noted. Tourism development creates centers of population which visitors are obvious by their dress and the areas they visit. They also tend to carry easily disposed of items of wealth such as cameras, cash and credit cards. They are temporary visitors, and as such are unable to take place much pressure into the law enforcement agencies to take action against criminals, or indeed, if the criminals are caught and brought to court, are likely to appear as persecution witnesses. Tourist zones are areas of criminal opportunity, potentially low detected and even lower convicted rates for criminal activity. In such conditions petty crime can be flourished as is evidenced by stories of Italian youths on scooters seizing handbags from female tourists, or rent cars’ windows being smashed even whilst the occupants sit at traffic lights.
    1.have --> has
    2.which --> where
    3.of --> omit "of"
    4.cameras --> camera
    5.as --> thus
    6.take --> omit "take"
    7.into --> on
    8.brought --> taken
    9.likely --> unlikely
    10.persecution --> prosecution
    11.detected --> detection
    12. convicted --> conviction
    13.be flourished --> flourish
    14.is --> omit "is"

Re: Please check my mistake-correction exercise

Quote Originally Posted by linhtho0211 View Post
    Please check my following exercise. My task is to find and correct all mistakes found in the passage. I have underlined incorrect words and corrected them below the passage.
    The relationship between tourism and crime have long been noted. Tourism development creates centers of population which visitors are obvious by their dress and the areas they visit. They also tend to carry easily disposed of items of wealth such as cameras, cash and credit cards. They are temporary visitors, and as such are unable to take place much pressure into the law enforcement agencies to take action against criminals, or indeed, if the criminals are caught and brought to court, are likely to appear as persecution witnesses. Tourist zones are areas of criminal opportunity, potentially low detected and even lower convicted rates for criminal activity. In such conditions petty crime can be flourished as is evidenced by stories of Italian youths on scooters seizing handbags from female tourists, or rent carsí windows being smashed even whilst the occupants sit at traffic lights.
    1.have --> has
    2.which --> where
    3.of --> omit "of"
    4.cameras --> camera could be left as plural since more than one is in evidence - each tourist has one.
    5.as --> thus
    6.take --> omit "take" put
    7.into --> on
    8.brought --> taken "brought" is the correct collocation.
    9.likely --> unlikely
    10.persecution --> prosecution
    11.detected --> detection "...with potential low detection...."
    12. convicted --> conviction
    13.be flourished --> flourish
    14.is --> omit "is"

What do you think about these followings:
    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    4.cameras --> camera could be left as plural since more than one is in evidence - each tourist has one.
    Then if cameras is alright then should credit card be changed into credit cards? Could be argued that it should.
    5.as --> thus
    Does as in this case mean because? If it does, there must be the consequence clause but I can't find it. Look at in this was "As temporary visitors, they are unable....."
    They are temporary visitors, and as such are unable to put much pressure on the law enforcement agencies to take action against criminals, or indeed, if the criminals are caught and brought to court, are unlikely to appear as prosecution witnesses.
    If as is changed into thus, in my opinion, the sentence would be like this:
    Because they are temporary visitors, they are unable to put much pressure on the law enforcement agencies to take action against criminals, or indeed are unlikely to appear as prosecution witnesses if the criminals are caught and brought to court.
    And if I've not found enough mistakes, please add for me.

None that I can see.
    Last edited by Anglika; 22-Feb-2009 at 14:31.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Try:
    They also tend to carry disposable items such as cameras, cash and credit cards. (You can keep "easily" there if you prefer, but it's disposable.)
    (Since "items" is plural so should the words which refer to items be plural.)

Also:
    They are temporary visitors, and thus they are unable to put much pressure on law enforcement agencies....