• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Question I need help to understan a context

Hi, I need help to understand an answer that was given to me. I am not a English native speaker and the way I express is, of course, different.

the question was: How is life going for you besides writing?

the answer : Passably well. Classes are fine, but growing increasingly tired of Boone. How about you?

My doubt is :
    1) when the person said passably well was referring to classes being fine and be tired of the place ? as in my first look at the answer it seems that the person just gave more details of why life is going pasably well.

2) in a second look at the answer : there is a period after passably well. And then talks about classes and being tired of the place. Could " passably well" refers to life is not the way he wanted life to be and to that added being tired of the place, like saying Life is passably well and I am tired of the place ?
    in this second look at the answer the words"passably well" seems to me talking about more than just lases and being tired. Passablly well could involve more but just not mentioned? and then added details about classes and tired of the place?
    and the answer in the end "how about you?" sounds interested in knowing more about my life and not only lets say about work.

I need help to understand it. Thanks! :)

Re: I need help to understan a context

The question was: How is life going for you, besides writing?

This sentence gives the impression that it comes well into a conversation. That the questioner specifically singles out 'writing', and asks, 'apart from that, how are things going?', suggests that the person being asked has just confided that he is having some trouble with his writing, such as writers' block, or that his publisher considers he needs to make major changes to his latest manuscript etc.

The questioner is then just asking about 'how things are going for him generally'.

the answer : Passably well. Classes are fine, but growing increasingly tired of Boone. How about you?
    The two most common answers are "Fine" and "Not bad", which for most of us, is what we can expect in living life. That he says "passably well" suggests he is feeling down about things, and that 'passably well' hints at this without wanting to complain too much.
    If 'Boone' is a place as you say, and the sentence is, "Classes are fine, but I'm growing increasing tired of Boone (College/University/Military School), then he is indicating some dissatisfaction at work (some conflicts with staff, or the politics of the place), or is feeling restless and it's time for new challenges.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    The question was: How is life going for you, besides writing?

This sentence gives the impression that it comes well into a conversation. That the questioner specifically singles out 'writing', and asks, 'apart from that, how are things going?', suggests that the person being asked has just confided that he is having some trouble with his writing, such as writers' block, or that his publisher considers he needs to make major changes to his latest manuscript etc.

The questioner is then just asking about 'how things are going for him generally'.

The two most common answers are "Fine" and "Not bad", which for most of us, is what we can expect in living life. That he says "passably well" suggests he is feeling down about things, and that 'passably well' hints at this without wanting to complain too much.
    If 'Boone' is a place as you say, and the sentence is, "Classes are fine, but I'm growing increasing tired of Boone (College/University/Military School), then he is indicating some dissatisfaction at work (some conflicts with staff, or the politics of the place), or is feeling restless and it's time for new challenges.
    thank you David! I need to ask you a question: the sentence "Classes are fine, But Im growing increasingly tired of Boone" coul be an explanation for passably well? or the person gave me two different answers like first sentence "passably well" means his is down about his life right now and the other sentence is another thing that he is not happy about ?

thanks

Passably well. Classes are fine, but growing increasingly tired of Boone. How about you?

'Passable well' hints that all it not going as he would like; and the second sentence gives a little information as to what is wrong: it's not the classes per se - they're going fine - but he is tired/bored/dissatisfied in some way with the place where he is teaching - or perhaps he is a student there himself, and he is referring to the classes he is in, rather than teaching these classes. (That I took him to be an author suggested to me he was an adult, and so a teacher as this school/college/whatever.)