Results 1 to 7 of 7

    • Join Date: Nov 2008
    • Posts: 28
    #1

    Question help !

    Could you show me the mistake in this sentence.
    Camels have either one hump or two humps. The Arabian camel has one hump. The Bactrian, nevertheless, has two humps.
    Thank you !
    Last edited by cuchoangthi; 23-Feb-2009 at 00:00.

  1. Charlie Bernstein's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 3,571
    #2

    Re: help !

    Quote Originally Posted by cuchoangthi View Post
    Could you show me the mistake in this sentence?

    Camels have either one hump or two humps. The Arabian camel has one hump. The Bactrian, however, has two humps.
    Thank you!
    You could also simplify it:

    Camels have either one hump or two. The Arabian has one. The Bactrian has two.

    [I edit copy and have tutored college writing.]


    • Join Date: Nov 2008
    • Posts: 28
    #3

    Re: help !

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    You could also simplify it:

    Camels have either one hump or two. The Arabian has one. The Bactrian has two.

    [I edit copy and have tutored college writing.]
    Sorry, but why it must be however ?
    However and nevertheless ? Aren't they the same meaning ?

  2. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,551
    #4

    Re: help !

    Quote Originally Posted by cuchoangthi View Post
    Sorry, but why it must be however ?
    However and nevertheless ? Aren't they the same meaning ?
    I wouldn't use either. There is no need.



    • Join Date: Nov 2008
    • Posts: 28
    #5

    Re: help !

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    I wouldn't use either. There is no need.

    Why not ? Could you explain for me ? please !


    • Join Date: Nov 2008
    • Posts: 28
    #6

    Re: help !

    Aha I got it !
    Thank you, thank you all.

  3. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,551
    #7

    Re: help !

    Quote Originally Posted by cuchoangthi View Post
    Why not ? Could you explain for me ? please !
    I wouldn't use either however or nonetheless. It's not necessary. (Don't space before end punctuation.)







Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •