Results 1 to 6 of 6

    • Join Date: Dec 2008
    • Posts: 146
    #1

    I should or should I ?

    Professor: ... ... A couple of migratory pollinators are worth noting. One is the lesser long-nosed bat and another is the most famous pollinator - what is our most famous pollinator? Or should I say our most beautiful pollinator.

    (Hi, everybody! This is the first time I see a sentence like this. This is a declarative sentence, right? Then why does the professor say " Or should I say ... ...", not "Or I should say ... ..." ? I mean, if the professor actually wants to say "Or should I say ....", I think this sentence should be ended with a question mark, not a period, right? So... is there a reason concerning grammar in this sentence? Thanks for your help! )

    Student: Oh, I know. It's the monarch butterfly!

    Professor: The monarch butterfly - yes. Millions of monarchs from all over the U.S. and southern Canada fly south every year in the late summer. ... ...


    • Join Date: Dec 2008
    • Posts: 146
    #2

    Re: I should or should I ?

    Wait! I have a suggestion. May I get it as " Or if I should say our most beautiful pollinator.

    ???


    • Join Date: Dec 2008
    • Posts: 146
    #3

    Re: I should or should I ?

    no answers ...

  1. Charlie Bernstein's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 3,592
    #4

    Re: I should or should I ?

    Quote Originally Posted by IMPSX-UE View Post
    Professor: ... ... A couple of migratory pollinators are worth noting. One is the lesser long-nosed bat and another is the most famous pollinator - what is our most famous pollinator? Or should I say our most beautiful pollinator.

    (Hi, everybody! This is the first time I've seen a sentence like this. This is a declarative sentence, right? Then why does the professor say " Or should I say ... ...", not "Or I should say ... ..." ? I mean, if the professor actually wants to say "Or should I say ....", I think this sentence should be ended with a question mark, not a period, right? So... is there a reason concerning grammar in this sentence? Thanks for your help! )

    Student: Oh, I know. It's the monarch butterfly!

    Professor: The monarch butterfly - yes. Millions of monarchs from all over the U.S. and southern Canada fly south every year in the late summer. ... ...
    Technically, you're exactly right. However, this is allowable. "Or should I say" is idiomatic - it's not to be understood literally. The period means that there's no up-speak at the end of the sentence, that the voice does not go up as if it were a question.

    It's usually used when someone is making a little joke.

    But I like it better with a question mark, too.

  2. Charlie Bernstein's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 3,592
    #5

    Re: I should or should I ?

    Quote Originally Posted by IMPSX-UE View Post
    Wait! I have a suggestion. May I get it as " Or if I should say our most beautiful pollinator.

    ???
    No.


    • Join Date: Dec 2008
    • Posts: 146
    #6

    Re: I should or should I ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    Technically, you're exactly right. However, this is allowable. "Or should I say" is idiomatic - it's not to be understood literally. The period means that there's no up-speak at the end of the sentence, that the voice does not go up as if it were a question.

    It's usually used when someone is making a little joke.

    But I like it better with a question mark, too.

    Hi, Charlie,

    Thank you for your correction (I've seen) ! I will make it right next time. And thanks for taking your time to look at my question, It is pretty clear, I get it now!

    Have a good night !

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •