Smile Different: fine, alright, all right

could anyone tell me what's the differents among "fine", "alright", "all right"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Different: fine, alright, all right

Quote Originally Posted by danny MD View Post
    could anyone tell me what's the differents among "fine", "alright", "all right"?
    Hi danny MD,

They all mean "Agreed," or "Go Ahead," or "O.K."

Here's a quote from The Elements of Style, Second Edition (New York: MacMillan, 1972), by William Strunk, Jr., With Revisions, an Introduction, and a Chapter on Writing, by E. B. White.

The quote is taken from Chapter IV, which is titled, Words and Expressions Commonly Misused:
    All Right, Idiomatic in familiar speech as a detached phrase in the sense "Agreed," or "Go Ahead," or "O.K." Properly written as two words --all right. The variant alright has not won general acceptance.
    The Elements of Style has been revised more than a few times since the 1972 Second Edition from which I quoted the above. (Updated editions appeared in 1979, and 1999; an illustrated edition followed in 2005). Check out the latest edition, Penguin Press HC, The (October 20, 2005), of this book at amazon.com:
    Amazon.com: The Elements of Style Illustrated: William Strunk Jr., E.B. White, Maira Kalman: Books

Also, you might be interested in knowing that E. B. White, the editor and author of the book's Introduction and its Chapter on Writing (titled V An Approach to Style (With a List of Reminders) ), is the author of the well-known children's books:

Stuart Little (1945)
    Charlotte's Web (1952)
    The Trumpet of the Swan (1970)

White graduated from Cornell University in 1921, receiving a Bachelor of Arts degree. While at Cornell, Strunk was one of his professors.

You can read more about E. B. White and follow further links to Strunk at this Wikipedia entry:

E. B. White - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Monticello; 11-Mar-2009 at 05:11.

The merging of 'all' and 'right' to form the one-word spelling 'alright' started toward the end of the 19th century.( 'altogether' and 'already' were already in common use by that time.) Yet even today, despite those precedents, 'already' remains non-standard English, and you will equally often see 'all right'.

Language changes over time, and I am a reactionary when it comes to slovenly, senseless changes that detract from clarity of meaning, or the beauty of the sound of the language e.g. 'going to' versus 'gunna'.
    But the use of 'already' seems a positive change, and is my preference.

But I think there are a little different.
    After we finished a job, our colleague said"all right, thanks for your time", we can't use "fine" in this case, right?

So when would you allow yourself to use 'alright'?
    I know, there are words that seem to have a different sense for me than others, and I stick with the distinction eg 'anticipate' versus 'expect'.
    Since the authorities would say you are correct, whether you use 'alright' or 'all right', then you can't go wrong sticking with your own proclivity.
    Last edited by David L.; 23-Feb-2009 at 11:26.