• Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

interpretation

Hello, teachers.
    I am confused about the next paragraph:

"A person of the name of Miller has arrived here, sir," he announced, "from Norwich. He is, I understand, a foreigner of some sort, who has recently landed in this country. I found it a little difficult to understand him, but her Highness's maid conversed with him in German, and I understand that he either is or brings you a message from a certain Doctor Schmidt, with whom you were acquainted in Africa."
    (The Great Impersonation from Project Gutenberg)

The part that confuses me is "I understand that he either is or...". I think that the speaker is saying "I understand he is either Doctor Schmidt himself or his messenger", but he knows that his name is "Miller" as indicated by the first sentence. Why does he think the visitor may be Doctor Shmidt? Does this simply mean the speaker is utterly confused because the visitor speaks English very poorly? I appreciate your comments and suggestions very much.

Re: interpretation

Th maid has not fully understood what the man has told her, so there is uncertainty whether he is Dr Schmitt himself or merely a messenger from the doctor.

Gutenberg is contravening the copyright of this author. His copyrights are owned by his descendants.
    Last edited by Anglika; 23-Feb-2009 at 13:54.

Gutenberg is contravening the copyright of this author. His copyrights are owned by his descendants.
    I note it says it is not copyright in the USA. I assume the rights holders relinquished them in some way.

Copyright varies according to jurisdiction. Some use a set number of years after publication, others after the authors death. The author died 63 years ago. The longest period I know of is 70 years after the authors death. All works eventually fall into the public domain, the descendants do not retain rights ad perpetuum.

Quote Originally Posted by thod00 View Post
    I note it says it is not copyright in the USA. I assume the rights holders relinquished them in some way. No - just failed to re-register when the US changed their legislation.

Also Amazon probably made no effort to check the real situation.
    They certainly made no effort for the copyrights I hold.

UK copyright remains valid for 75 years following the author's death, and there is a site in Austin, Texas, which is logging copyright information, so it is not impossible to trace this.

In fact, literary rights can be held in perpetuum - so long as there is an heir to whom they can be transferred, whether an individual or a group [such as a Trust]. Hence the row between Disney and the Ormond Street Hospital.