it is not too late to stop it.

can you pls make some explanation for this sentence. what is the meaning? what situations do we usually say?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: it is not too late to stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by janezhao View Post
    Can you please explain this sentence? What does it mean? what situations do we usually use it in?
    It means:

Stopping now will make a difference.
    There is still time to stop.
    Stop now, while there's still time.
    We haven't reached the deadline for quitting.

We use it when something has to stop by a certain time.

Smile Re: it is not too late to stop it.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Can I say like that? It is not too late to stop it for the children's excessive homework in China. Because too much assignments lead to less much time for developing their interests on sports, music,et.

Another question to ask you is the following sentence.(from a essay)
    Since urban sprawl places people outside of walking distance to shopping areas and work areas, they are forced to rely heavily on cars to get from point A to point B.

For this sentence, I understand the back of the sentence that they have to be reliance on the cars to go somewhere. But the clause part, i can not understand the grammatical use. i am not sue which is the predicate , is it place or something else?

Thanks again

"It's not too late to stop."

This refers to a course of action that has been set in motion, and the person is now having doubts/second thoughts about the advisability of the action; and whether it can or cannot be stopped.

So - Maggie Thatcher orders the Task Force to sail for the Faulklands. Say, world leaders condemn her action, and the Iron Lady (God forbid) felt 'wobbly' (=uncertain about the decision she has made, wavering, feeling insecure in the wisdom of her decision). She might express this to her cabinet, who might say, "It's not too late ( to stop) Prime Minister. You could order the fleet to return to port."

Others have other examples?

Since urban sprawl places people outside of walking distance to shopping areas and work areas,
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

Urban sprawl (subject) places (verb) people (object)...
    Urban sprawl(subject) places people outside of walking distance to shopping areas and work areas,(predicate)

HI,David

So what meaning the sentense is? I extract it from an article.

Thanks again

So what meaning the sentense is? I extract it from an article.
    So, what does the sentence mean? It's from an article./It's a quote from an article."

(It's only one sentence, which is too brief to be termed 'an extract'.)

Since urban sprawl places people outside of walking distance to shopping areas and work areas, they are forced to rely heavily on cars to get from point A to point B.

'urban sprawl' : the expansion/spreading of a city into the adjoining countryside (in a way perceived to be disorganized and unattractive).
    I understand that Mexico City is 20 miles in diameter! Imagine living on the outskirts of town, and working right in the centre of the city. It is too far to walk, so people would need a car to be able to get to work and the shops conveniently.
    Urban sprawl means people live too far from shops and their place of work to be able to walk the distances involved. Hence, they have to have a car for going from home (point A) to the shops or work (Points B.)
    Last edited by David L.; 25-Feb-2009 at 11:13.