Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Aug 2008
    • Posts: 351
    #1

    Smile horseback ridding

    Hello,

    What is the difference between "horseback riding competition" and "horse-riding event"? In fact, I am looking for a term which describes the dispute among the competitors.

    Thanks,

  1. Charlie Bernstein's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 3,597
    #2

    Re: horseback ridding

    Quote Originally Posted by dilermando View Post
    Hello,

    What is the difference between "horseback riding competition" and "horse-riding event"? In fact, I am looking for a term which describes the dispute among the competitors.

    Thanks,
    More information, please! Tell us what dispute, and we might have a term to describe it.

    A riding competition is always an event, but a riding event isn't always a competition.

    Horseback riding and horse riding mean the same thing, but it's more common to say horseback riding.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Aug 2008
    • Posts: 351
    #3

    Re: horseback ridding

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    More information, please! Tell us what dispute, and we might have a term to describe it.

    A riding competition is always an event, but a riding event isn't always a competition.

    Horseback riding and horse riding mean the same thing, but it's more common to say horseback riding.
    It is hard describe what I am looking for, because my writing is not good. For example, when the competitors (riding a horse) with their horses will to show to the public how their horses are well trained in order to win the prizes. I mean, their horses will jump fences, perform some tasks, etc.

    But, in general, what is the difference between those terms above? Sorry to confuse you.

  2. Charlie Bernstein's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 3,597
    #4

    Re: horseback RIDING

    Well...I think it's what I said:

    - A riding competition is always an event, but a riding event isn't always a competition. For instance, parades and exhibitions are also events. A speed competition is called a horse race.

    - Horseback riding
    and horse riding mean the same thing, but it's more common to say horseback riding.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Aug 2008
    • Posts: 351
    #5

    Re: horseback RIDING

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    Well...I think it's what I said:

    - A riding competition is always an event, but a riding event isn't always a competition. For instance, parades and exhibitions are also events. A speed competition is called a horse race.

    - Horseback riding
    and horse riding mean the same thing, but it's more common to say horseback riding.
    Thank you. It's clear now!


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #6

    Re: horseback ridding

    Quote Originally Posted by dilermando View Post
    It is hard describe what I am looking for, because my writing is not good. For example, when the competitors (riding a horse) with their horses will to show to the public how their horses are well trained in order to win the prizes. I mean, their horses will jump fences, perform some tasks, etc.

    But, in general, what is the difference between those terms above? Sorry to confuse you.
    There are several types of event: Show-jumping, in which the important thing is to clear a course of fences without knocking any over; Eventing which has three sections in which the horse and rider must achieve a standard of excellence at dressage [highly trained and planned series of movements], cross-country riding [involving jumping large and complicated jumps], which is a timed event, and show-jumping.

    Dressage derived from military training and is used to train the horse and rider to work together, and to achieve a degree of flexibility and responsiveness in the horse.

    There are straighforward showing events, in which the judgement is on the quality of the animal combined with the level of training it has achieved.

    In-hand showing is designed to show off the animal and its conformation.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,903
    #7

    Re: horseback ridding

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    Horseback riding and horse riding mean the same thing, but it's more common to say horseback riding.
    How about simply 'riding'? I think in BrE that would be the commonest form- any other animal would require qualification.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •