Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. Unregistered

    ***** means what?


    can anyone tell me the technical term for these asteri when used in an articles to show the end of a section. *****

    quick help needed.

    • Join Date: May 2004
    • Posts: 727

    Re: ***** means what?

    An asterix is used to visually divide a section of writing.

  2. Nahualli

    Re: ***** means what?

    I don't think there's an actual "technical" term for it other than just plain old "divider". I know in web pages they used to be called "horizontal bars" and their ONLY purpose was to make breaks in the page, they never needed to be called anything else.

    Some books use one asterisk, some use many, some use symbols entirely different, I don't think there's any uniformity to it, it's just a visual convenience.


Similar Threads

  1. means/ instrument
    By moonwalker in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-Aug-2004, 20:21
  2. What Jostein Gaarder means in here?
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-Jan-2004, 18:11
  3. grammar
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 17-Dec-2003, 20:02


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts