Time is of the essence

Time is of the essence of this agreement.

What does this statement mean.
    Thanks.

Re: Time is of the essence

The essence of something is the most important, vital or central property of something. So in 'Time is of the essence of this agreement' they are saying that the timing is the most important part of the agreement. For example, if you need to fly to New York tomorrow, its of no use if I supply a ticket dated a month away.

Quote Originally Posted by thod00 View Post
    The essence of something is the most important, vital or central property of something. So in 'Time is of the essence of this agreement' they are saying that the timing is the most important part of the agreement. For example, if you need to fly to New York tomorrow, its of no use if I supply a ticket dated a month away.
    Dear thod00
    I feel that this sentenceis sort of odd and must be " Time is the essence of this agreement" or " time is of the essence in this agreement". What do you think?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

I know that the common way to say it here in Canada is "time is of the essence"................

However, the correct way is "time is the essence" and I will let the linguists explain the grammar.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Searching for language View Post
    I know that the common way to say it here in Canada is "time is of the essence"................

However, the correct way is "time is the essence" and I will let the linguists explain the grammar.
    I'm not sure why you think omitting the 'of' is more correct. The 'of' here is like the 'of' in 'of the nature of', 'of the order of'.

The phrase was originally used by lawyers framing contracts. Time was not the essence of these contracts. Time was just a crucial factor in the delivery of the contract. "I will pay X for Y, as long as you deliver it by T; if you deliver late, the deal is off". Lawyers being lawyers, they didn't write 'if you deliver late, the deal is off', they wrote 'time is of the essence [of the contract'] - harking back to a more etymologically sensible use of 'the essence' related to the Latin root esse - 'to be'. 'Time is of the essence' meant 'the deal is defined in terms of time'

I agree that, considering the way the phrase has come to be used today to mean 'jolly important', the 'of' looks out of place. But it's not.

b