Need help!

Do two of these mean the same?
    1.Do you remember me? 2.Can you remember me?

Thanks
    Last edited by Supachoke; 25-Feb-2009 at 12:56.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Red face Re: Need help!

Quote Originally Posted by Supachoke View Post

Thanks
    No, they're not. 1 is asking about the fact of being remembered: 'Do you remember me? We were introduced at a party a few years ago.'

No 2 is much less common. It's asking about either an ability or a willingness to remember.

Ability: If your mind is full of hundreds of other people, can you remember me?'
    Willingness: 'Can you remember me if I leave these thing here while I visit all the other stalls? I'll only be a few minutes.'

But 'Can you remember...?' is used of things more than people: 'Can you remember the day when...?' in this case, it's very like 'Do you remember the day when ...', but suggests some doubt in the hearer's ability to remember: 'Can you remember... [it wouldn't surprise me if you can't]? But 'Do you remember...' is just inviting the hearer to share in a memory.

b

Re: Need help!

1.Why can't we use "Do you forget me?" but whereas we can use "Do you remember me?"

2.For "Do you forget me?", we use past simple or present perfect in this question instead, right?

BobK:
    Nice response

Why can't we use "Do you forget me?" but whereas we can use "Do you remember me?"

2.For "Do you forget me?", we use past simple or present perfect in this question instead, right?

Yes (if I understand what you mean by 'use the Present Perfect.). If the speaker thinks that the other person has forgotten him - (that's why he asks the question!) - then the 'forgetting' must have happened prior to their current meeting/conversation, that is, 'the past'.

So - "Have you forgotten me?"

Quote Originally Posted by Supachoke View Post

Thanks

I'd like to simplify the answers to this post.
    "Can" means "Are able to"
    When my children ask me, "Can I watch TV?" I answer, "Yes, you are ABLE to, but you MAY (do not have permission to) not watch TV.
    "Do you remember me" means simply, "Do you remember who I am or should I reintroduce myself?"

One more question, can I use "Have you remembered me?" instead of "Do you remember me?" if not why. In my opinion, remembering in the past and now is still able to remember it should use present perfect, isn't it?

You might say 'Do you remember me?" when first going up to the other person to begin chatting.

Let's look at:
    "Have you remembered me?"
    Remember, Present Perfect looks back, from the moment of speaking, NOW, and regards the action or event as occurring over a period of time.
    This implies that the person spoken to, asked this question, has been performing this act of remembering over a period of time.
    The only way that could be, is if the speaker originally asked, "Do you...?". The person couldn't remember/'place the person' speaking, who said something like, "Think of summer camp, 1977, and frogs in beds. I'll just get a drink while you're thinking."
    On returning, he then asks, "Have you remembered me ?"
    |X<they meet and he doesn't remember...........goes and gets a drink........>Y Have you remembered?
    Now, the period of time is X to Y.

Having said all that, it is much more likely the person would still use the first sentence, "Do you remember me now?"

Another context:
    Someone is making a will, and the speaker jokingly asks, "Have you remembered me ((in your will))?"
    That is, left him some money or property, made him a beneficiary.