• Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Tunisia
      • Current Location:
      • Tunisia

correct sentences 5

Dear teachers,

Would you please tell me what are the best choices to make in the following sentences?

1. The greenhouse effect has been worrying environmentalists / conservationists / ecologists (?) for years.

2. He had been holding on / hanging on to/ clinching to / clutching at (?) the branch for about ten minutes/for 10 mns or so.

3. We visited this resort four days (a) running/ (b) on end / (c) in a row (?)

4. They have been living under the poverty line forweeks, that’s to say (a) since the beginning of the strike / (b) since the strike began.

5. These drug (a) dealers / (b) traffickers have been laundering their money in Switzerland for several years.

6. a) The astronaut left / quit / quitted (?) the spaceship ten minutes ago.
    b)It is / has been ten minutes since the astronaut left / has left the spaceship.

7. How long has the Queen spoken / did the queen speak ?
    [tense + capitalisation ?]

8. It (a) was / had been months since the parrot (b) had spoken / last spoke.

9. It is / This is the first time (since ?) I have forgotten Mother’s Day.

10. It wasn’t the first time (since?) she had forgotten to read the (a) instructions / (b) user guide / (c) directions for use / (d) instructions leaflet / (e) manual (?).

11. When have you bought / did you buy your last car ?

12. There is no (a) use sending / (b) point in sending / (c) It’s no use sending / (d) It’s useless to send food and medicine / medical supplies to Sarajevo as/so long as factions at war / warring factions have not accepted a cease fire.

13. Do you remember
    (a) switching / turning off the television set. [other verbs possible?]
    (b)turning the tv set off. (?)

Thank you for your help

Re: correct sentences 5

Quote Originally Posted by hela View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you please tell me what are the best choices to make in the following sentences?

1. The greenhouse effect has been worrying environmentalists / conservationists / ecologists (?) for years. All are applicable.

2. He had beenhanging on to the branch for about ten minutes..

3. We visited this resort four days (a) running/ (b) on end / (c) in a row (?) a or c

4. They have been living under the poverty line for weeks, that’s to say since the strike began.

5. These drug traffickers have been laundering their money in Switzerland for several years.

6. a) The astronaut left the spaceship ten minutes ago.
    b)It is ten minutes since the astronaut left the spaceship.

[tense + capitalisation Yes?]

8. It was months since the parrot last spoke.

9. This is the first time I have forgotten Mother’s Day.

10. It wasn’t the first time she had forgotten to read the manual (?).

11. When you did you buy your last car ?

It’s useless to send food and medicine to Sarajevo as warring factions have not accepted a cease fire.

13. Do you remember

Thank you for your help

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Tunisia
      • Current Location:
      • Tunisia

Good evening, Anglika

In #6, is it wrong to say "it has been... since..." ?
    In #7 I can use either the present perfect or the simple past? = both?

Thanks again

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Hi hela,

Here's my take on the questions in your original post:
    1. The greenhouse effect has been worrying environmentalists / conservationists / ecologists (?) for years.

-Unless the options provided for this item are contingent on a specific text, ALL would apply.

2. He had been holding on / hanging on to/ clinching to / clutching at (?) the branch for about ten minutes/for 10 mns or so.

He had been hanging on to the branch for about ten minutes or so.

3. We visited this resort four days (a) running/ (b) on end / (c) in a row (?)

We visited this resort four days in a row.
    (Comment: The choice of running for this item might (absurdly) suggest that somehow during your visit you never stopped running. - an exhausting trip indeed! )

4. They have been living under the poverty line forweeks, that’s to say (a) since the beginning of the strike / (b) since the strike began.

They have been living under the poverty line for weeks, that's to say since the strike began.

5. These drug (a) dealers / (b) traffickers have been laundering their money in Switzerland for several years.

These drug traffickers have been laundering their money in Switzerland for several years.
    (Comment: By definition, drug traffickers work their illicit trade at higher levels than drug dealers. Thus, the deed of money laundering suggests traffickers rather than dealers.)

6. a) The astronaut left / quit / quitted (?) the spaceship ten minutes ago.
    b)It is / has been ten minutes since the astronaut left / has left the spaceship.

The astronaut left the spaceship ten minutes ago. It has been ten minutes since the astronaut left the spaceship.

How long did the queen speak?
    (Comment: I know of no English usage that would demand capitalization based upon a previous verb tense. What this item appears to be looking for is the use of capitalization for proper names/titles vs. a "common" noun. In this case, "the queen" -- paradoxically -- is a "common" noun, since it has not been used as part of a particular queen's title: e.g., "How long has Queen Elizabeth been speaking." or "How long did Queen Beatrix speak?"

8. It (a) was / had been months since the parrot (b) had spoken / last spoke.

It had been months since the parrot last spoke.

9. It is / This is the first time (since ?) I have forgotten Mother’s Day.

This is the first time I have forgotten Mother's Day.

10. It wasn’t the first time (since?) she had forgotten to read the (a) instructions / (b) user guide / (c) directions for use / (d) instructions leaflet / (e) manual (?).

It wasn't the first time she had forgotten to read the manual.

11. When have you bought / did you buy your last car ?

When did you buy your last car?

12. There is no (a) use sending / (b) point in sending / (c) It’s no use sending / (d) It’s useless to send food and medicine / medical supplies to Sarajevo as/so long as factions at war / warring factions have not accepted a cease fire.

It's useless to send / food and medicine to Sarajevo so long as warring factions have not accepted a cease fire. (On second thought, depending on the intentions of those who might send assistance, medical supplies could also work in the above sentence.)

13. Do you remember

Do you remember turning off the television set?
    (Comment: In the USA, the common usage would be "turning off a TV set." I can't ever recall hearing the usage "switching off the TV set.")

Last edited by Monticello; 26-Feb-2009 at 02:52.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

In #6, is it wrong to say "it has been... since..." ? No, it's not wrong.
    You can say; 'How long has the Queen been speaking?' or 'How long did the Queen speak?' They have different meanings however.
    Thanks again
    Bhai.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Tunisia
      • Current Location:
      • Tunisia

Hello Monticello,

2. He had been hanging on to the branch for about ten minutes or so.
    Is it possible to combine "about" with "or so"?

What I meant is that I wasn’t sure about the tense to choose and about capitalisation.

As for capitalisation, I thought that when we refer to a particular person by using their titles instead of their names we should capitalise the title.
    e.g. “Yesterday I met the President.” Shouldn’t I capitalise the “p” because I know precisely which president I’m talking about? Wouldn’t it be the same in the case above = “the Queen”?

12. It's useless to send / food and medicine to Sarajevo so long as warring factions have not accepted a cease fire. (On second thought, depending on the intentions of those who might send assistance, medical supplies could also work in the above sentence.)
    What do you mean by “depending on their intentions”? Aren’t “medicine” and “medical supplies” the same?

Hello Bhaisahab,

You can say; 'How long has the Queen been speaking?' or 'How long did the Queen speak?' They have different meanings however.
    Does the sentence in the present perfect mean that the queen hasn’t finished speaking or has just finished speaking whether the one in the simple past means that she finished it some time ago?

Thank you very much for your patience

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Hello Monticello,

What I meant is that I wasn’t sure about the tense to choose and about capitalisation.

As for capitalisation, I thought that when we refer to a particular person by using their titles instead of their names we should capitalise the title.
    e.g. “Yesterday I met the President.” Shouldn’t I capitalise the “p” because I know precisely which president I’m talking about? Wouldn’t it be the same in the case above = “the Queen”?

What do you mean by “depending on their intentions”? Aren’t “medicine” and “medical supplies” the same?

Hello Bhaisahab,

Does the sentence in the present perfect mean that the queen hasn’t finished speaking or has just finished speaking whether the one in the simple past means that she finished it some time ago?

The sentence in present pefect means that she hasn't finished speaking. In the simple past sentence, she has finished.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Hello Monticello,

Hello Bhaisahab,

Hi Hela,

Is it possible to combine "about" with "or so"?- Yes, in conversation you will often hear "about .. or so.", though some might be picky, finding this "redundant," i.e., unnecessarily repetitive, due to the fact that "about" and "or so" are just two different ways of saying (or writing) "approximately."

e.g. “Yesterday I met the President president” Shouldn’t I capitalise the “p” because I know precisely which president I’m talking about? -No. Wouldn’t it be the same in the case above = “the Queenqueen? - Yes, it does involve the same consideration concerning capitalization as above with Queen vs. queen. And so here too no "caps" should be used.

Please see the following link to clear this simple matter up:

http://www.myenglishteacher.net/captilizingletters.html

What do you mean by “depending on their intentions”? Aren’t “medicine” and “medical supplies” the same? -No, medicine and medical supplies do not mean the same thing. In terms of categorization, "medical supplies" is a broader category in which medicine(s) would fit. Thus, in addition to medicine(s), medical supplies would include other things such as bandages, tourniquets, syringes, etc.
    Last edited by Monticello; 27-Feb-2009 at 05:40.