stand to assert?

I was reading Moby Dick and at the end of the last but one paragraph of Chapter 104, itself quoted from John Leo, is this sentence that baffles me: "Their Historians affirm, that a Prophetwho prophesy'd of Mahomet, came from this Temple, and some do not stand to assert, that the Prophet Jonas was cast forth by the Whale at the Base of the Temple."

In the same paragraph it was told that a whale's rib captured by the temple priests was regarded as a maricle, so "some DO NOT stand to assert" goes against the grain of the paragrah of deifying the whale in my opinion. My gut feeling is the "stand" here is somewhat replaceable with "hesitate", but no usage I found of "stand" seems to accomodate this.

Can anyone explain to me the meaning of that quoted sentence and the use of "stand to" here? Thanx in advance!
    Last edited by sparklark; 26-Feb-2009 at 07:36.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: stand to assert?

Webster's 1828 Dictionary gives these meanings which seem pretty close to your reading of 'hesitate':

7. To stop; to halt; not to proceed.

I charge thee, stand, and tell thy name.

8. To stop; to be at a stationary point.

Browse 1828 => Word STAND :: Search the 1828 Noah Webster's Dictionary of the English Language (FREE) :: 1828.mshaffer.com

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: stand to assert?

Webster's 1828 Dictionary gives these meanings which seem pretty close to your reading of 'hesitate':

7. To stop; to halt; not to proceed.

I charge thee, stand, and tell thy name.

8. To stop; to be at a stationary point.

Browse 1828 => Word STAND :: Search the 1828 Noah Webster's Dictionary of the English Language (FREE) :: 1828.mshaffer.com