• Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

comprehension, tea

Dear teachers,

I have two questions:

No.1

A lot of money is going for computerized educational materials that research has shown can be taught just as well with pencil and paper.

I get confused by the grammar. I think 'is' isn't put correctly here and the sentence should be:

A lot of money going for computerized educational materials that research has shown can be taught just as well with pencil and paper.
    Is that right?

No.2
    This has something to do with culture. In China we make tea the following way: 1. to put tea (tea-leaves) in a cup 2. to pour boiled water into the cup and cover the cup with a lid. That's it. I heard that English people put sugar in the tea. Is that right?
    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Re: comprehension, tea

A lot of money is going for computerized educational materials that research has shown can be taught just as well with pencil and paper.

I get confused by the grammar. I think 'is' isn't put correctly here and the sentence should be:

A lot of money going for computerized educational materials that research has shown can be taught just as well with pencil and paper.
    Is that right?

So - the main clause is "A lot of money going for computerized educational materials"
    and the subordinate clause:
    "that research has shown can be taught just as well with pencil and paper."

Where is the verb in the main clause? 'lot of money' does not take the verb later in the sentence, 'can be taught'!
    BUT - omit the 'that' (maybe it was a typo and you meant to):

A lot of money going for computerized educational materials research has shown can be taught just as well with pencil and paper.
    Last edited by David L.; 26-Feb-2009 at 12:50.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Dear David,
    Thank you very much for your explanation. I realized I made a mistake.

I was trying to analyze the sentence but found I couldn't analyze it:

"A lot of money is going for computerized educational materials " (subject+predicate + prep. phrase) that (referring to materials, and serves as the object of 'shown') research has shown (can be taught just as well with pencil and paper) How to analyze the part in blue?

It occurred to me the sentence should go like this:
    A lot of money going for computerized educational materials as research has shown which can be taught just as well with pencil and paper.

And it can be rewritten this way:

A lot of money going for computerized educational materials which can be taught just as well with pencil and paper as research has shown.
    Is that right?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

jiang

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post

Is that right?

So - the main clause is "A lot of money going for computerized educational materials"
    and the subordinate clause:
    "that research has shown can be taught just as well with pencil and paper."

Where is the verb in the main clause? 'lot of money' does not take the verb later in the sentence, 'can be taught'!
    BUT - omit the 'that' (maybe it was a typo and you meant to):

A lot of money going for computerized educational materials research has shown can be taught just as well with pencil and paper.

A lot of money going for computerized educational materials as research has shown which can be taught just as well with pencil and paper.

Not quite:

A lot of money going for computerized educational materials (as research has shown) (which-omit) can be taught just as well with pencil and paper.
    so-
    A lot of money going for computerized educational materials, as research has shown, can be taught just as well with pencil and paper.

and
    A lot of money going for computerized educational materials can be taught just as well with pencil and paper, as research has shown.
    'research has shown' is best placed where it is in the original sentence, or at the beginning of the sentence. When you tack it on at the end, it sounds less important, like an afterthought. A speaker might give it a bit more emphasis as in '..., as research has consistently shown.'
    Last edited by David L.; 26-Feb-2009 at 16:01.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

This original sentence is a multiple choice:
    A lot of money is going for computerized educaitonal materials ___1___ research has shown can be taught ___2____ with pencil and paper.
    1. a. however b. if c. what d. that
    2. equally b. in the same way c. just as well d. not as well
    And the key: 1. 'd'. 2. 'c'.
    I think 'd' should be 'as'.

Jiang

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post

Not quite:

A lot of money going for computerized educational materials (as research has shown) (which-omit) can be taught just as well with pencil and paper.
    so-
    A lot of money going for computerized educational materials, as research has shown, can be taught just as well with pencil and paper.

and
    A lot of money going for computerized educational materials can be taught just as well with pencil and paper, as research has shown.
    'research has shown' is best placed where it is in the original sentence, or at the beginning of the sentence. When you tack it on at the end, it sounds less important, like an afterthought. A speaker might give it a bit more emphasis as in '..., as research has consistently shown.'