• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

have vs have been

what is the diffrence between the two sentences?

I have studied english .
    I have been studying english.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: have vs have been

Quote Originally Posted by tareq10 View Post
    what is the diffrence between the two sentences?

I have studied English . This is a statement about something you have done.
    I have been studying English. This is incomplete as it is, you need a time reference. 'I have been studying English for four years' for example.
    Bhai.

I have studied English .
    The speaker's viewpoint is looking back from NOW (the moment of speaking) over the period of time during which he studied English. Usually with the Present Perfect tense, the duration of the action or event is from some point in the past, right up to the moment of speaking. (With some actions and events, it can be inferred that the action will continue, but whether it continues on or not does not seem relevant to what the speaker is saying. e.g. as in "I have lived here for 10 years.")

From your sentence, we only know that there was a period of time before now during which he studied English. This could be:
    |...Earlier in life.......|<started studying Eng.........stopped>|............NOW
    or
    |<...Earlier in life.......>|< studied Eng........>|NOW
    Our sense is that it is the former, since a native speaker would add more information such as, "I've just finished studying English/my English studies. Thank God that's over."

I have been studying English.
    The use of the Present Perfect Continuous tense indicates that the speaker's viewpoint is looking back over the period of this event AND that the event/action will be continuing past the moment of actually speaking, NOW, for some indefinite time into the future:
    |<...Earlier in life.......>|< studying Eng........NOW...studying.............

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

thank you alot for this useful information but would you simplify it a little bit more because I'm really confused.