• Post Thanks / Like

I do not get this sentence! (grammar)

And every year, there's an array of migratory pollinators flying north and south with the seasons, following the flowers. The migratory corridors -the flyways - are like ... uh ... something like a path of stepping-stones for the pollinators, with each "stone" being a collection of flowering plants. But our system of large-scale agriculture has interfered. During the past fifty years, millions of acres of desert in western Mexico and the southwestern United States have been turned into chemically intensive farms, planted with exotic grasses, creating huge stretches of flyway that are devoid of nectar-producing plants for migratory pollinators. ... ...

Hi! Grammatically, I get this sentence in red color in two different ways, and I was wondering if you could have a look for me to see which is the correct way to interpret this sentence? Thank you!

1. During the past fifty years, millions of acres of desert in western Mexico and the southwestern United States have been turned into chemically intensive farms, which is planted with exotic grasses, creating huge stretches of flyway that are devoid of nectar-producing plants for migratory pollinators.

2. During the past fifty years, millions of acres of desert in western Mexico and the southwestern United States have been turned into chemically intensive farms, since it is planted with exotic grasses, creating huge stretches of flyway that are devoid of nectar-producing plants for migratory pollinators.
    Last edited by IMPSX-UE; 01-Mar-2009 at 17:21. Reason: stetches - stretches

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: I do not get this sentence! (grammar)

It's 1 - but note: "farms, which are planted with exotic grasses."

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    It's 1 - but note: "farms, which are planted with exotic grasses."
    Oh, yes! David L, you are right! I made a mistake!!

Thanks for your help, thank you, I get it!

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

... millions of acres have been turned into chemically intensive farms, [They have been] planted with exotic grasses, ... .

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    ... millions of acres have been turned into chemically intensive farms, [They have been] planted with exotic grasses, ... .
    Soup!! Long time no see! I am pretty glad to see you here!

"They" refers to "farms", right? Then may I get it as -
    ... millions of acres have been turned into chemically intensive farms, [which have been] planted with exotic grasses, ... . ?

Or, Soup, I think "which are planted with exotic grasses..." is also acceptable in this context. What is your opinion?

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    Wait! Soup, I think you are right. I should interpret it as "which have been planted", since the prior sentence has told me the tense, we should keep them consistent. Thanks, I get it! Good night!

During the past fifty years, millions of acres of desert in western Mexico and the southwestern United States have been turned into chemically intensive farms, which have been planted with exotic grasses, creating huge stretches of flyway that are devoid of nectar-producing plants for migratory pollinators.

• Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. Too busy looking at the congruence of your verb with the plural 'farms' and not seeing the bigger picture!

Fortunately, we all do monitor what's written, and pick up mistakes like that before puzzlement spreads among readers!

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    Hmm. Too busy looking at the congruence of your verb with the plural 'farms' and not seeing the bigger picture!

Fortunately, we all do monitor what's written, and pick up mistakes like that before puzzlement spreads among readers!
    But, I still want to say thank you to you, David L. You did a good job!
    You have spent a lot your personal time as a contributor at this forum, we appreciate that! You are great!

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IMPSX-UE View Post
    But, I still want to say thank you to you, David L. You did a good job!
    You have spent a lot your personal time as a contributor at this forum, we appreciate that! You are great!

Definitely.