1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Article

Hi, I need some help in article usage. I have read some grammer rules in couple of websites about the usage of article, The and A. They all provide a good explanation and examples, however. there is still a question I do not find a answer yet. The question is does every noun or pronoun must preceded by an article or some sort of determiner? By the way, the previous sentence contains a question clause in a main clause. I think the grammar is not correct, but it sound ok to me. Please indicate where is the mistake and show me how to correct it. Thanks. WKL

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Article

Quote Originally Posted by wkl1234 View Post
    Hi, I need some help in article usage. I have read some grammar rules in couple of websites about the usage of the articles the and a. They all provide a good explanation and examples. However,there is still a question I have not found an answer to yet. The question is: does every noun or pronoun have to be preceded by an article or some sort of determiner? By the way, the previous sentence contains a question clause in a main clause. I think the grammar is not correct, but it sounds okay to me. Please indicate where the mistake is and show me how to correct it. Thanks. WKL
    Here's the easy part first: pronouns almost never have articles in front of them.

Now the hard part: with nouns, it depends. There are many rules governing articles before nouns - and just as many exceptions to the rules. The best general rule is that if you're talking about a specific thing, use the, and if you're talking about the general idea of something, use a.

She threw a rock at his head.
    She threw the rock she was holding at his head.

In the first, it could be any rock. In the second, it can be only one rock: the one she was holding.

He was lost in a forest.
    He was lost in the forest.

In the first, we don't know which forest. In the second, we do - even though it's not explained in this sentence.

But articles are difficult. Just keep listening, and be patient. As you become more familiar with the language, they'll start to make sense.

3. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Re: Article

Charlie,
    Thanks for your quick respond to my question and correction of my garmmar mistakes. I am definitely learning something more now.

WKL