• Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

• Post Thanks / Like

the late cutting-edge stand-up comic

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right in my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following excerpt from an Entertainment News?

“U.S. actor Eddie Murphy will play Richard Pryor in a new movie about the late cutting-edge stand-up comic, industry sources say.”
    I know the meaning of the detached constituent parts of the mentioned above giant expression but the work is getting more complicated by the interpretation in my natural language.

stand-up comic
    stand-up = requiring a standing position (a stand-up bar, a stand-up comic, stand-up stage, stand-up performance, stand-up comedy)

cutting-edge = in accord with the most fashionable ideas or style (cutting-edge technology), up-to-date, contemporary, modern

In my opinion the usage of the word “late” lays particular stress on the fact that Murphy will play the award-winning comedian in a movie based on the book "Richard Pryor: Is It Something I Said” which has to do with his last creatives years before the ill-fated heart-attack on 10 December 2005.

Thank you for your efforts.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: the late cutting-edge stand-up comic

Stand-up comic = a comedian whose act consists of standing in front of an audience while he/she talks.

"the late Richard Pryor" tells you that he is dead - just like the late African blue parrot in the dead parrot sketch.