Results 1 to 8 of 8

    • Join Date: Feb 2009
    • Posts: 14
    #1

    A question about phrases.

    I know there are different kinds of phrases. My question is this: Which kinds of phrases require commas at the end of sentences. Here is a example:
    We would be glad to serve you at any time, no questions asked.
    Also, please flag any grammatical errors within this text and please explain the errors :)

    Thanks,
    Sam

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2008
    • Posts: 2,944
    #2

    Re: A question about phrases.

    Hi Sam-

    there could have been a dash before that clause, too

    - no questions asked.

    or a semicolon

    ; no questions asked.


    That sentence looks like advertising script. Don't base good written English on Advertising scripts. It's meant to be quick, brief, and not always gramatically correct.

  1. Charlie Bernstein's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 3,571
    #3

    Re: A question about phrases.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy_ View Post
    I know there are different kinds of phrases. My question is this: Which kinds of phrases require commas at the end of sentences? Here is a example:
    We would be glad to serve you at any time, no questions asked.
    Also, please flag any grammatical errors within this text, and please explain the errors.

    Questions end with question marks, compound sentences are divided by commas, and sentences end with periods.

    Thanks,
    Sam
    You're welcome!

    Your comma after time is fine.

    Commas are easy, but for some reason, they confuse people. :

    Commas separate. There are only for reasons to use commas. Use them to separate:

    - the parts of compound sentences.
    - items in lists and series of three or more.
    - dependent words and clauses (such as "no questions asked").
    - the name of the person you're writing to at the beginning of a letter from your own name at the end of a letter(Dear Sammy, / Yours truly, Charlie).

    I can't think of any other correct ways to use them. Does anyone else want to add to that?


    • Join Date: Feb 2009
    • Posts: 14
    #4

    Re: A question about phrases.

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    You're welcome!

    Your comma after time is fine.

    Commas are easy, but for some reason, they confuse people. :

    Commas separate. There are only for reasons to use commas. Use them to separate:

    - the parts of compound sentences.
    - items in lists and series of three or more.
    - dependent words and clauses (such as "no questions asked").
    - the name of the person you're writing to at the beginning of a letter from your own name at the end of a letter(Dear Sammy, / Yours truly, Charlie).

    I can't think of any other correct ways to use them. Does anyone else want to add to that?

    I thought "no question asked" was a adverbial phrase. I mean, am I wrong in thinking that it modifies the verb serve?

    Thanks,
    Sam

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2008
    • Posts: 2,944
    #5

    Re: A question about phrases.

    A couple options:

    We would be glad to serve you at any time and there will be no questions asked. (compound sentence)

    We would be glad to serve you at any time, when there will be no questions asked. (modifies Time)

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 1,507
    #6

    Re: A question about phrases.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy_ View Post
    I know there are different kinds of phrases. My question is this: Which kinds of phrases require commas at the end of sentences. Here is a example:
    We would be glad to serve you at any time, no questions asked.
    A full answer to your question would have to be extremely detailed and lengthy, but, as regards the specific example cited here, the comma is obligatory because the underlined phrase is of a kind technically termed a nominative absolute (functionally similar to a Latin ablative absolute, but in the common [nominative] case).


    • Join Date: Feb 2009
    • Posts: 14
    #7

    Re: A question about phrases.

    Quote Originally Posted by philo2009 View Post
    A full answer to your question would have to be extremely detailed and lengthy, but, as regards the specific example cited here, the comma is obligatory because the underlined phrase is of a kind technically termed a nominative absolute (functionally similar to a Latin ablative absolute, but in the common [nominative] case).
    Thank you for the help. Do you know of a site that thoroughly discusses comma rules?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 1,507
    #8

    Re: A question about phrases.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy_ View Post
    Thank you for the help. Do you know of a site that thoroughly discusses comma rules?
    I am afraid that I do not. I would suggest putting 'comma rules' into a search engine and see what it produces.

    Good luck!

Similar Threads

  1. another question
    By hey_friends in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-Apr-2008, 13:23
  2. Question about answer, reply,take care ...
    By JJD in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 25-Aug-2006, 03:24
  3. Types of question
    By Jupiter in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-Jul-2006, 11:33
  4. Language Question ???
    By j4mes_bond25 in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-Jul-2006, 08:33
  5. Question about -ed phrases
    By Astro-D in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-Mar-2003, 20:13

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •