1. Unregistered

menu and meal

Good afternoon,

I'd like to inquire about these two words (in the title).
    You see, when I went to a Mc Donald's restaurant in Ireland, I told a worker at the counter that I'd like to have a Mc Chicken menu but he didn't understand, instead, he said "you want the meal?"(which he meant 'the menu' that comes with fries and drink)
    I know this is not a big issue but I'd like to know if the usage of 'meal' is correct in this context?
    I get the impression that the word 'menu' indicates the food choices that you can see on a card or a board and not "a particular set of food"

Could anyone please shed some light on this matter?
    thank you.

Re: menu and meal

I can understand the confusion.

You obviously know what 'menu' means and so I presume you also know 'meal'.

HOWEVER...in McDonal'ds restaurant, that illuminated plastic board overhead in front of you behind the counter is the menu. You will see individual items listed, and the prices; but also on display are complete meals for a reduced price - a Cheeseburger, fries and a shake. I think these 'complete meals' are termed 'value meals' and are pictured in their own separate box on the illuminated display, and numbered. You ask for a No.6 etc. So, if McChicken, fries and a coke is a No.2, then asking for the "McChicken menu", you have said the name of an individual item, and that's what he thinks you want - if you want the complete meal, he expects you to ask for a No.2.
    Last edited by David L.; 05-Mar-2009 at 18:44.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Right. At many fast food restaurants, the menus can include complete meals.

It sounds like the person behind the counter was a dope.

Come, Charlie. I think his perspective might be, better to seem a dope to a customer than to my manager, having entered a Cheeseburger into the computer and taken the money, only to have to send it back and re-order the complete meal; and figure out how to do that on the computerized cash register...all because I didn't make sure I understood.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Good afternoon,

I'd like to inquire about these two words (in the title).
    You see, when I went to a Mc Donald's restaurant in Ireland, I told a worker at the counter that I'd like to have a Mc Chicken menu but he didn't understand, instead, he said "you want the meal?"(which he meant 'the menu' that comes with fries and drink)
    I know this is not a big issue but I'd like to know if the usage of 'meal' is correct in this context?
    I get the impression that the word 'menu' indicates the food choices that you can see on a card or a board and not "a particular set of food"

Could anyone please shed some light on this matter?
    thank you.

The "menu" in any restaurant is strictly the list of items available for purchase (the "bill of fare", so to speak). A meal is the actual food that you order from the menu. Depending upon the restaurant, a meal might consist of a hamburger, fries and drink, or it could be a steak, baked potato, vegetables and bread or dinner rolls.