1. Unregistered

Exclamation Present perfect and con

Please check my understanding that I am correct or not. if not please correct them as well, thanks
    -It has rained (it rained in the past up to now, it is still raining. this sentence emphasize that the action takes very long time)
    -It has been raining (the explanation is the same as the first one but it emphasize that the action is temporary)
    ***-The children have eaten lunch. You can see the stain on the plates.
    ***-The children have eaten lunch. (now they are still eating but emphasize the action takes very long time)
    -The children have been eating lunch. (now they are still eating(temporary))

The thing that I confuse is can it be translated into 2 meaning(from The children have eaten lunch) or I just misunderstand?

Re: Present perfect and con

I don't know, but I wanna know too.

Unregistered:

check the following:
    ***-The children have eaten lunch. You can see the stain on the plates.
    ***-The children have eaten lunch. (now they are still eating but emphasize the action takes very long time)
    -The children have been eating lunch. (now they are still eating(temporary))

Should the second of these sentences have a different form of the verb? You give a different interpretation for it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    No, if they are still eating you can't say have eaten. Instead, say: "The children are eating lunch."

So - let's work on the assumption of the following (as suggested by BobK), till Unregistered tells us otherwise.
    1. -The children are eating lunch. (now they are still eating but emphasize the action takes very long time)
    2. -The children have eaten lunch. You can see the stain on the plates
    3. The children have been eating lunch. (now they are still eating(temporary))

Any non-native speakers like to give their thoughts on what these verb forms convey to them?