1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

a

a Sherlock Holmes book or a Sherlock Holmes's book ?
    Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: a

"A Sherlock Holmes book." Sherlock Holmes is the subject of the book; he did not write it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    "A Sherlock Holmes book." Sherlock Holmes is the subject of the book; he did not write it.
    Thanks for this useful information.

Because 'Sherlock Holmes' ends in an 's' there is no need to put an apostrophe. instead, we add '. So, it's better to say 'Sherlock Holmes' book.

could you please clarify what have you mentioned about 'subject of the book; he did not write it'.

could you please clarify what have you mentioned about 'subject of the book; he did not write it'.
    If the subject had been a cat, then you would have a cat book. Many of these books would be cat books. The plurality of the subject has not changed, its the number of books that has changed. If there were several cats, then it would be a cats book. Many of these would be cats books. By the same reasoning as above.

If I said 'This is the cat's ball', I am saying this is the ball of the cat, indicating possession. By contrast, 'This is the cats ball", I am saying this is the ball of many cats.

The subject of your book was Sherlock Holmes. It remains Sherlock Holmes no matter how many books there may be. We do no wish to indicate possession by a fictional character.