• Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Doe-only

Hello all!

I'm reading and trying to understand (translating into russian) one article aboute hunting. And look at this sentence please:

The magazine was controversial, too, supporting such hotly debated issues as the Migratory Bird Act and the first "doe-only" seasons to bolster dwindling whitetail herds.

I found out that a whitetail is a deer (can it means other animals?).
    "Doe-only" season means that you can't hunt female of animals.
    To bolster dwindling whitetail herds means that the population of deers is dwindling and need to support them no killing female.

Am I right or not quite? (Could I ask you to check the whole text of mine showing my grammar mistakes)

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by greegorush; 07-Mar-2009 at 10:57.

Re: Doe-only

Quote Originally Posted by greegorush View Post
    Hello all!

I'm reading and trying to understand (translating into russian) one article aboute hunting. And look at this sentence please:

The magazine was controversial, too, supporting such hotly debated issues as the Migratory Bird Act and the first "doe-only" seasons to bolster dwindling whitetail herds.

I found out that a whitetail is a deer (can it means other animals?).
    "Doe-only" season means that you can't hunt female of animals.
    To bolster dwindling whitetail herds means that the population of deers is dwindling and need to support them no killing female.

Am I right or not quite? (Could I ask you to check the whole text of mine showing my grammar mistakes)

Thanks in advance!
    "doe-only" means you can only hunt the female. It is a way of controlling the birth rate of the species.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Doe-only

The whitetail deer has a distinctive white tail (Isn't that obvious?), and it is a different color from the rest of the animal. I don't know if that term is used for any other animals.