• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Re: there are

Not unless you wish to speak horribly unnatural English...

Can one say:
    2-Writing paper was on the table.
    instead of:
    b-There was writing paper on the table?

Can one say:
    2-Bullets were in the gun.
    instead of:
    b-There were bullets in the gun.

These two are OK:
    "Writing paper was on the table, the pen uncapped. Those lousy Keystone Cops were wasting no time getting my confession. I spat on it."

"Bullets were in the gun, and the firing pin cocked. That lousy two-timing broad had meant to splatter my brains."

The first is a bit harder:
    "Mortimer was as fastidious about his flower beds as a broody hen. When I saw weeds were in his garden, I figured he had to be dead. I needed a taco to take the bad taste out of my mouth. Those lousy two-bit punks had made compost of him for sure."

(My apologies to William Shakespeare, and guardians of British literary heritage, for this assault.)
    Last edited by David L.; 08-Mar-2009 at 12:06.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Thanks a lot philo2009 and DavidL.

David, you did a great job. To tell you the truth the sentences did sound unnatural to me but with the contexts you have created, they seem to work perfectly. I think that was brilliant (even though I am not a native speaker and don't have the right to judge).

Now, if I may allow myselt to make a comment on your style, I'll say that you tend to use 'lousy' and also words having 'two' in them generously ('two bit' and 'two-timing'), but I have a feeling you found the first fitting forceful words offered to you by your fantastic fancy weren't refined enough for this forum. Aside from that, we have a good detective story going here, and I have no doubt that our good old detective, 'Hard-boiled Dave' will manage to crack the case in no time and put those punks in prison !!

Thanks again. I really appreciate it.
    Navy.

I used 'lousy' repetitiously to highlight that I was writing the same old mindless dime-novel trash. And everybody you have a grudge againist is always 'two-bit' or 'two-timing'!
    Last edited by David L.; 08-Mar-2009 at 19:30.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Hi David,

I was just jokingly pretending that I hadn't gotten your joke. I thought I was playing along.

I appreciate your sense of humour. I didn't mean to criticize for real! I wouldn't allow myself to do anything of the sort after you answered my question (and what's more, did it so carefully and inventively). If I have offended you in any way, please accept my apologies.

Your examples were truly helpful and what's more they were humourous.

I was smiling all the time I was writing my last remark!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • United States

OK then, everything is cool!

All that's left for us to do now is get them punks and make'em pay for what they did to good ol' Mortimor. I've seen all sorts of things in this line of work. All sorts of places. Uptown and downtown, penthouse and underground. I can squeeze the sleaze out of the fanciest restaurant and find an angel in the deepest, darkest dead-end street of the Zombie Zone in no time. I have seen all sorts of people. Sinners and saints ain't a big deal. This town is full of them. But I have seen people who were both at the same time. Like that guy who'd turn you into salami if you looked at him the wrong way and who'd risk his life for any woman or child. I've seen all sorts. But Morti was different. A heart of gold in the body of a huge dinosaure. The beauty IN the beast. I should have gotten used to this sort of thing by now, but Morti's death hit me just like a sledgehammer. It is a jungle out there, I know that. But there still are things you don't do. And killing good ol' Marti was one of them. Whoever did it crossed one of the few red lines this town has as far as I am concerned, and they're going to pay for it big time.

(I tried.)