Help me please

What are "mandatory minimum" ,""sentencing laws",""the three-law" and "a hit" when we talk about laws?Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Help me please

Quote Originally Posted by zhang82yi View Post
    What are "mandatory minimum" ,""sentencing laws",""the three-law" and "a hit" when we talk about laws?Thanks!
    Mandatory minimum is used to refer to the length of a sentence. It means that, by law, a judge must (mandatory) impose at least the minimum number of years for certain crimes.

Sentencing laws are laws related to the sentence (punishment) accorded for a crime. They often state how many years in prison a person must serve for crimes of different levels of seriousness

Do you mean 'the three strikes law'? If so, it is a relatively recent change to the law in California which says that a person convicted, for the third time, of a serious felony must receive, in addition to the punishment for the third offense, an extra five years in prison for each of the two prior convictions. (It's called the three-strike law in reference to the rule in baseball which says that after three 'strikes', a batter is 'out'.)

I'm not sure what meaning of 'hit' you are referring to. Could you provide a bit more of the context?

All best wishes,

Petra