• Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

• Post Thanks / Like

Question Wh- Questions (ELT)

Hi everyone,

I have to be a teacher for fifteen minutes in a class in two days and I have to teach the students "When" and "Where". The students are my classmates and they are university students, so I will be the one to decide on their level of English. I thought it would be best to have an Elementary or Lower-Intermediate level class, since Wh- questions are not so complicated as to be taught to Advanced students. Anyway, after telling the students that when is used for asking questions regarding time and where regarding place, I will show them some example usages such as "When is your birthday?", "Where are you from?" etc. Then I will have them read the dialogue I have prepared and request them to underline the parts that denote time and place. I'm thinking of having two students read the dialogue aloud and then have two others tell me which sentences have time and place references. My questions to you are:

1-What can I do after that period? I have to make them cooperate somehow (as in forming their own sentences, but they are not supposed to be able to make up sentences at that level. I have to trigger them somehow. Maybe by saying "Ask your friend where he was last night." in the mother tongue. I don't know if that'll work.) Any ideas?

2-Here's the dialogue I have prepared:

"Peter: Hello. My name is Peter. What is your name?
    Janet: My name is Janet. What is yours?
    Peter: I said itís Peter!
    Janet: Oh, alright.
    Peter: So, where are you from Janet?
    Janet: I am from Brazil.
    Peter: And how old are you?
    Janet: What? I am not old!
    Peter: I didnít mean that! When is your birthday or when were you born?
    Janet: My birthday is on the fifteenth of MarchÖ Oh, look at the time! I have to go.
    Peter: Where are you going?
    Janet: Iím going to the airport. I have a flight at six oíclock.
    Peter: Bye then.
    Janet: Bye."

Do you think this dialogue is sufficient for my purpose? If not, could you help me enrich/change it? Thank you so much in advance

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wh- Questions (ELT)

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sonic View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have to be a teacher for fifteen minutes in a class in two days and I have to teach the students "When" and "Where". The students are my classmates and they are university students, so I will be the one to decide on their level of English. I thought it would be best to have an Elementary or Lower-Intermediate level class, since Wh- questions are not so complicated as to be taught to Advanced students. Anyway, after telling the students that when is used for asking questions regarding time and where regarding place, I will show them some example usages such as "When is your birthday?", "Where are you from?" etc. Then I will have them read the dialogue I have prepared and request them to underline the parts that denote time and place. I'm thinking of having two students read the dialogue aloud and then have two others tell me which sentences have time and place references. My questions to you are:

1-What can I do after that period? I have to make them cooperate somehow (as in forming their own sentences, but they are not supposed to be able to make up sentences at that level. I have to trigger them somehow. Maybe by saying "Ask your friend where he was last night." in the mother tongue. I don't know if that'll work.) Any ideas?

2-Here's the dialogue I have prepared:

"Peter: Hello. My name is Peter. What is your name?
    Janet: My name is Janet. What is yours?
    Peter: I said itís Peter!
    Janet: Oh, all right.
    Peter: So, where are you from Janet?
    Janet: I am from Brazil.
    Peter: And how old are you?
    Janet: What? I am not old!
    Peter: I didnít mean that! When is your birthday or when were you born?
    Janet: My birthday is on the fifteenth of MarchÖ Oh, look at the time! I have to go.
    Peter: Where are you going?
    Janet: Iím going to the airport. I have a flight at six oíclock.
    Peter: Bye then. When will we see you again?
    Janet: In five weeks I shall be back. 'Bye."

Do you think this dialogue is sufficient for my purpose? If not, could you help me enrich/change it? Thank you so much in advance