• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

power posturing

Please help me understand the following in bold.

The diagrammatic representation of a company structure can be a source of more ego battles and power posturing than is evident during the entire Serengeti rutting season. Who is higher up than whom? Which lines connect whom and where a dotted line should go? I have heard tales of managers falling out over a dotted line and permanent umbrage being taken because one person is one 'layer' lower than someone else doing the same job in another department.

In the above, is "power posturing" something like "power struggle?" And I know what "dotted line" literally means. But what is it refering to here?

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: power posturing

Dear unpakwon:

Thanks for submitting this amusing passage. I laughed aloud at a source of more ego battles and power posturing than is evident during the entire Serengeti rutting season.

Quote Originally Posted by unpakwon View Post
    Please help me understand the following in bold.

The diagrammatic representation of a company structure can be a source of more ego battles and power posturing than is evident during the entire Serengeti rutting season. Who is higher up than whom? Which lines connect whom and where a dotted line should go? I have heard tales of managers falling out over a dotted line and permanent umbrage being taken because one person is one 'layer' lower than someone else doing the same job in another department.

In the above, is "power posturing" something like "power struggle?" And I know what "dotted line" literally means. But what is it referring to here?

Thank you.
    power posturing
    The best image I can think of (at the moment) is the one used by the author: male animals competing for status during mating season. Yes, it means power struggle, but the author here has chosen to focus not on the struggle in terms of high-level mental strategizing, but on the more unconscious or primitive level of animals struggling for primacy.

a dotted line
    Here, a dotted line refers to the lines used to indicate the complex hierarchy of the managers and others at the executive level of a company.
    The way the 'dotted lines' connect individuals indicates who is subordinate to whom.

The author is saying that, while a diagram of the power structure within a company may appear to be a dry and objective representation, to those behind the scenes it tells a tale of fierce and desperate battling for dominance.

I hope this is helpful,

Petra

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Re: power posturing

Yes. It's been very helpful.

Thank you.