• Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

Various questions

Hello teachers,

Could someone please explain the followings?

1. What happened to these flowers? OR What happened with these flowers? (I can see they are all dead.)

2. I didn't want to go to the cinema with them last night because ... OR I didn't want to go with them to the cinema last night because ... (What is the correct position of the underlined part?)

3. What's the difference between 'to repair / to fix / to mend sg'? Can I use them interchangeably or is there anything that determines which one to be used? A noun category or anything?

And finally, do the sentences below mean exactly the same?

Jack looks as if he is very tired.
    Jack seems to be very tired. / Jack looks very tired.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Henry

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Re: Various questions

Hello.

Both of the structures are correct.

To my opinin, the difference between them is the emphasis.

I didn't want to go to the cinema with them last night. emphasizes that you didn't like to go to the cinema. but to another place ,you could have gone.

I didn't want to go with them to the cinema last night. emphasizes that you didn't like to go with them . but with others you could have gone

Good Luck!
    Last edited by tareq10; 09-Mar-2009 at 17:44.

I didn't want to go to the cinema with them last night. emphasizes that you didn't like to go with them but with others you could have gone.

I didn't want to go with them to the cinema last night. emphasizes that you didn't like to go to the cinema but to another place ,you could have gone.

Other way round!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by henryh View Post
    Hello teachers,

Could someone please explain the followings?

1. What happened to these flowers? OR What happened with these flowers? People would understand this, but what you want to know is what happened to the flowers to cause them to wither.(I can see they are all dead.)

2. I didn't want to go to the cinema with them last night because ... OR I didn't want to go with them to the cinema last night because ... (What is the correct position of the underlined part?)Either placement works. It might depend on whether your main point is not wanting to go to the cinema or not wanting to go with them.

3. What's the difference between 'to repair / to fix / to mend sg'? Can I use them interchangeably or is there anything that determines which one to be used? A noun category or anything? They all mean essentially the same thing. There very well may be a usage difference depending on whether you are in England, the US, or where you are in either country. For example, I think that 'mend' is used more widely in BrE than in AmE to refer to all sorts of mending and repairing. In general, from an AmE point of view:

to repair (from dictionary.com) italics are mine
    to restore to a good or sound condition after decay or damage; mend: to repair a motor.
    to fix (from dictionary.com): to repair, mend
    to mend (from dictionary.com): to make (something broken, worn, torn, or otherwise damaged) whole, sound, or usable by repairing: to mend old clothes; to mend a broken toy.
    You can see that the three words have much in common. People tend to use 'repair' in a more formal and objective sense: one has one's car 'repaired'; 'to fix' has a more informal ring to it. The expression 'a quick fix' means a solution or repair that probably will not be long lasting. 'The fix is in' means that there has been dishonest meddling with the outcome of a race, an election, etc, which can give 'fix' a rather tarnished feel. 'To mend' has a tender connotation, because soft things are mended, clothing, for example. People use the expressions 'to mend a broken heart,', and 'least said, soonest mended,' in situations involving social/emotional relationships.
    All this said, there are other examples of the use of these terms that will contradict the generalizations given above. For example, people sometimes try to 'repair' a damaged friendship.
    In summary: yes, the words all mean essentially the same thing, you can use them pretty much interchangeably. With more exposure to common usage, you will become more attuned to the shades of meaning of each.

And finally, do the sentences below mean exactly (a tricky idea when discussing language!) the same?

Jack looks as if he is very tired.
    Jack seems to be very tired. / Jack looks very tired.
    Yes.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Henry
    I hope this is helpful,

Petra

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    I didn't want to go to the cinema with them last night. emphasizes that you didn't like to go with them but with others you could have gone.

I didn't want to go with them to the cinema last night. emphasizes that you didn't like to go to the cinema but to another place ,you could have gone.

Other way round!
    you're right!

That was due to my copy and paste.

I'm going to replace them.

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

Thank you all for your comments.
    Special thanks to Petra for her thorough explanation.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

2. I didn't want to go to the cinema with them last night because ... OR I didn't want to go with them to the cinema last night because ... (What is the correct position of the underlined part?)
    Either is OK. (We cannot tell from that if you actually went to the cinema or not.)

3. What's the difference between 'to repair / to fix / to mend sg'? Can I use them interchangeably or is there anything that determines which one to be used? A noun category or anything?
    They are interchangeable to some extent, but there are usage differences. For one thing, Americans use "fix" a lot (for just about anything you can think of). For another, "mend" is mostly used when talking about clothing (rips, tears).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

We can fix:
    cars
    computers
    leaky faucets
    relationships
    just about anything
    We can mend:
    clothing
    broken hearts
    bones (Actually, we set bones. They mend themselves.)
    (A person who is recovering from an illness is said to be on the mend.)
    We repair:
    appliances
    automobiles
    credit
    (More can be added to each list.)