1. Eugenie

meaning of 'we got'

Dear teacher,

Somebody asks me if there's any hidden or negative meaning in the phrase 'we got'. It seems there's no negative meaning when I search for 'get' at the dictionary. However, I'm afraid that there's something expecially in common speach.

Thank you for your help.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: meaning of 'we got'

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenie View Post
    Dear teacher,

Somebody asks me if there's any hidden or negative meaning in the phrase 'we got'. It seems there's no negative meaning when I search for 'get' at the dictionary. However, I'm afraid that there's something expecially in common speach.

Thank you for your help.
    Hmm. Not sure what you're teacher's driving at. Children tend to over-use it in their writing: 'I got up and then I got washed and dressed and then mummy got my breakfast and then I got my outdoor things on and then I got the bus. When it got to school ...' - Get the idea?

So some teachers have a knee-jerk reaction to any use of the word "get" - and this may be where the 'negative idea' comes from. This seems to me silly. But it's true that "get" is used more commonly in speech, and it can seem excessive when used in writing; it is also sometimes the best choice, even in writing.

b

PS There's another issue: In some dialects 'we got' is used in place of 'we have got'. This is non-standard, but common and unexceptionable: when, in CSI, someone says 'I got blood here' there's no room for doubt about what it means; they've found a trace of blood.
    Last edited by BobK; 10-Mar-2009 at 14:06. Reason: Added PS

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: meaning of 'we got'

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenie View Post
    Dear teacher,

Thank you for your help.
    No, there's nothing negative about "we got." Do you have an example of a sentence you're wondering about?