1. Diana

Smile Have got tongues in their heads

If you know what does this idiomatic expresion means let me know, its for my homework...and I just can't get the meaning....the idiom is from The Inspector General by Anton Chekhov...THX

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Have got tongues in their heads

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    If you know what does this idiomatic expresion means let me know, its for my homework...and I just can't get the meaning....the idiom is from The Inspector General by Anton Chekhov...THX
    Dear Diana:

Here's an example of someone using that expression:

"The very fact that a prominent Irish republican can have a play on in London without ...." and the cops said, “Oh, you’ve got a tongue in your head after all!” They’re so smooth and slick in their job as professional interrogators.’ ...

What the cops mean is, "We've been asking you questions for five days and you haven't said one word." Then the prisoner says something about a play by an Irish republican. The cops respond, “Oh, you’ve got a tongue in your head after all!

It's something you would say to someone who has been silent for a long time who suddenly begins talking.

I hope this is helpful,

Petra

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Have got tongues in their heads

Quote Originally Posted by pyoung View Post
    Dear Diana:

Here's an example of someone using that expression:

"The very fact that a prominent Irish republican can have a play on in London without ...." and the cops said, “Oh, you’ve got a tongue in your head after all!” They’re so smooth and slick in their job as professional interrogators.’ ...

What the cops mean is, "We've been asking you questions for five days and you haven't said one word." Then the prisoner says something about a play by an Irish republican. The cops respond, “Oh, you’ve got a tongue in your head after all!

It's something you would say to someone who has been silent for a long time who suddenly begins talking.

I hope this is helpful,

Petra
    That context is fine - I was finding it difficult to think of a positive one. In my experience, 'have+NOT' goes naturally with "a tongue in your head?" Typically, a teacher might say it to a tongue-tied schoolboy: 'Speak up - haven't you got a tongue in your head?'

b