• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

will/would

In short, the A vs. An debate may simply reflect pronunciation differences between the US and England. Undoubtedly, you will run into strict grammarians who insist that an is more proper (especially in writing), especially amongst people with a penchant for thinking all things old (or British) are more correct. As an American, I can tell you that most people in the US would never use 'an' when speaking and would tell you not to use it in writing either (regardless of whether or not such advice is technically correct).

I wonder why 'would' is used. There is nothing hypothetical, is there? Sorry for asking about 'will' and 'would' again when I've already asked about this pair of words recently. These words confuse me and I feel uneasy if I'm unable to understand why one is used in preference over the other.

Many thanks for your help.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: will/would

Quote Originally Posted by Tan Elaine View Post
    In short, the A vs. An debate may simply reflect pronunciation differences between the US and England. Undoubtedly, you will run into strict grammarians who insist that an is more proper (especially in writing), especially amongst people with a penchant for thinking all things old (or British) are more correct. As an American, I can tell you that most people in the US would never use 'an' when speaking and would tell you not to use it in writing either (regardless of whether or not such advice is technically correct).

I wonder why 'would' is used. There is nothing hypothetical, is there? Sorry for asking about 'will' and 'would' again when I've already asked about this pair of words recently. These words confuse me and I feel uneasy if I'm unable to understand why one is used in preference over the other.

Many thanks for your help.
    'Would' is used for the same reason a person says, 'I would never lie to a friend.' It's not really a statement about the future, but rather a statement of a general truth or condition.

I am very curious to know, however, what the author is referring to when s/he states that
    As an American, I can tell you that most people in the US would never use 'an' when speaking and would tell you not to use it in writing either
    This is certainly not generally true of 'an'. What does it mean?

Best wishes,

Petra

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Re: will/would

Thanks, Petra

It is in relation to a or an after hotel, historical, etc.

Some people use an hotel, an historical, etc, but most use 'a'.

I hope the above clarifies what I wrote in the earlier post.
    Last edited by Tan Elaine; 11-Mar-2009 at 18:35.