• Post Thanks / Like

Dear Teachers

I recently bought a collection of DVD called "Shameless complete collection". I'm sure some of you will have wathced this series. However I wasn't exactly pleased as the use of language wasn't what I'd expected, and I would be grateful if anyone can let me know the kind and accent of English used in that series.

Kind Regards

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: shameless?

In future I would Google anything of this kind before you buy!

It is set on a "sink estate", basically a slum, in Stretford, Manchester, and is typical of the working class uneducated who often end in these places. It can be very funny, but probably only to those who suffer having to live nearby.

If you find this offensive, DO NOT try Rab C. Nesbitt, which is set it Glasgow and is practically incomprehensible.

• Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps you think the UK is all cocktail parties and elegant dresses? It is the same as anywhere else, the not very bright and the lazy, the drug addicts, the criminals, they all have to live somewhere. They end up in these estates because its the cheapest place to live. They are not characters of noble deeds and enterprise. The series reflects this. The speech has various accents, mostly northern, but is typical. If you don't like it, that's your problem. Do you want to learn English as it is or some theoretical language?

• Post Thanks / Like

Hi thod,
    I never thought the UK is all cocktail parties and elegant dresses.
    I'm an ESL learnder. And as such I always try to learn the standard English, not some cockney dialect or anything. I do know that there are many varaities and dialects of English, and I respect them. However it is not my concern to try and learn them. As I said I want to learn standard English. Of course I don't like the language in Shameless, and I don't think it a problem of mine, rather it is a matter of choice and opinion. After all, there's no accounting for taste, is there?