• Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

driver, some, big

Dear teachers,

I have three questions:

No.1 and No.2

Once I had to catch a bus. Seeing it coming, I ran and happed on. Suddenly the ____1______ stopped me and said I had jumped the queue! Well, I scratched my head, and it took me ___2_____ time to realize what the matter was.
    1. a. driver b. conductor
    The key is 'b'. But I think 'a' is also correct if it is a "pay-to-the-driver bus". Is that right?
    2. a. some b. quite a
    The key is 'b'. But how can I know it is 'quite a time' instead of 'some' time. The former takes longer time than the latter. Is that right?

No.3
    Now, tipping. This is something of a problem, especially when eating out. Some restauratns put 10% on the bill. Do check it or sometimes you will leave long-faced waiters behind you. Give a little more than 10% if the bill is _________.
    a. small b. big
    The key is 'a'. This has something to do with culture. The key is 'a'. Is that correct?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    Last edited by jiang; 13-Mar-2009 at 14:04.

Re: driver, some, big

Once I had to catch a bus. Seeing it coming, I ran and hpped on. Suddenly the ____1______ stopped me and said I had jimpt the queue! Well, I scratched my head, and it took me ___2_____ time to realize what the matter was.
    The key is 'b'. But I think 'a' is also correct if it is a "pay-to-the-driver bus". Is that right?

This must be an old test! What buses have conductors anymore? In its day, yes, it would have been the conductor, but now, it could only be the driver...or someone else in the queue wanting to board!

2. a. some b. quite a
    The key is 'b'. But how can I know it is 'quite a time' instead of 'some' time. The former takes longer time than the latter. Is that right?

Yes...perhaps the man really did physically scratch his head and... duh...he was so dense it did take him 'quite a time'.
    The usual expressions are 'some time to...' and 'quite some time to...'
    with 'quite a time' more used in the context of:
    'What a party!. We had quite a time."
    I think 'some time' is quite sufficient to get the idea of delayed realization across without resorting to 'quite a time'!
    I don't like that item.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Dear David,

Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I see.
    I think the test was written about 15 years ago.
    There is a sentence following blank 2 in questions No.1 and No.2:
    Once I had to catch a bus. Seeing it coming, I ran and hpped on. Suddenly the ____1______ stopped me and said I had jimpt the queue! Well, I scratched my head, and it took me ___2_____ time to realize what the matter was. Always take the tube train for getting about. It's much faster.
    I see no connection between them. I guess what the author mean "It takes longer time to wait for the bus"? Is that right?
    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    Once I had to catch a bus. Seeing it coming, I ran and hpped on. Suddenly the ____1______ stopped me and said I had jimpt the queue! Well, I scratched my head, and it took me ___2_____ time to realize what the matter was.
    This must be an old test! What buses have conductors anymore? In its day, yes, it would have been the conductor, but now, it could only be the driver...or someone else in the queue wanting to board!

2. a. some b. quite a
    Yes...perhaps the man really did physically scratch his head and... duh...he was so dense it did take him 'quite a time'.
    The usual expressions are 'some time to...' and 'quite some time to...'
    with 'quite a time' more used in the context of:
    'What a party!. We had quite a time."
    I think 'some time' is quite sufficient to get the idea of delayed realization across without resorting to 'quite a time'!
    I don't like that item.

Always take the tube train for getting about. It's much faster.
    I see no connection between them. I guess what the author mean "It takes longer time to wait for the bus"? Is that right?

Not quite. Buses have to contend with congestion on the roads, and stop/start traffic owing to traffic lights. That all makes for a longer trip. The tube has a (usually) clear run between stations, at full speed, with no repeated stopping. Hence, much faster.
    Last edited by David L.; 12-Mar-2009 at 12:37.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Dear David,

Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I see.
    I see no connection because the previous sentence is "he jumped queue".

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    Always take the tube train for getting about. It's much faster.

Not quite. Buses have to contend with congestion on the roads, and stop/start traffic owing to traffic lights. That all makes for a longer trip. The tube has a (usually) clear run between stations, at full speed, with no repeated stopping. Hence, much fast.