special grammar questions!!!! thanks A LOT ^_^

i read it on a magzine. i don't know in which way i should say it. is there any difference? please help. >_<" thanks a lot. x

(1)
    original one: failure to conform to these norms constitutes drug abuse in society in question.

can i say: failure of conforming to these norms constitutes drug abuse in society in question.

(2)
    original one: no reliable global estimate of the number of marijuana smokers is currently available.

can i say: no reliable global estimate about the number of marijuana smokers is currently available.

(3)
    original one: .......,who live in places so barren that no drug-yielding plants can be cultivated.

in which way should i say it:

A. .......,who live in places that are so barren that no drug-yielding plants can be cultivated.

B. .......,who live in places where the soil is (soils are ???) so barren that no drug-yielding plants can be cultivated.

(4)
    original one: she decided not to show this letter to him in case he could recall the memory (or "should i say the fraction of/ in that memory")again and attack the person.

A. she had decided not to show this letter to him in case he could recall the memory again and attack the person.

B. she decided not to show this letter to him in case he could recall the memory again to attack the person.

C. she decided not to show this letter to him in case he could/ would/(omit any word here) recall the memory again and attack the person.

last question:
    is this sentence "in which way should i say it "correct? or "which way i should say it in?" or just "what way should i say it?"

i am sometimes confused by these stuffs. what's wrong with my english study? in what aspects do i need to improve? i just don't know! argh... is that because i pay too much attention on grammar or sth to hinder my english gets fluent? thank you very much!!!!!!!!!

Re: special grammar questions!!!! thanks A LOT ^_^

can anyone help me with that? i'm really confused about it!!!!! many thanks!!!!

Hi Funkygirl,

It might be better if you break something like this up into smaller, more manageable pieces (say, four maybe). I'm sure many teachers here would like to help you, but may take one look at a big laundry list of questions like this and decide to pass. A lot of people just don't have the time to tackle so many questions in one post.

i read it on a magazine
    No, you read it in a magazine. Use in for anything that you have to open to read, such as a book, magazine, newspaper, and so on.

(1) original one: failure to conform to these norms constitutes drug abuse in society in question.

can i say: failure of conforming to these norms constitutes drug abuse in society in question.
    1. No, the original is the correct way to say this. If you didn't do something you were supposed to, then we talk about your failure to do that. If something was supposed to work a certain way or do a certain job and it didn't, we talk about the failure of that thing. It failed. It broke. It malfunctioned. It didn't perform in the intended manner. Clearly, this last one is not the meaning here.

(2) original one: no reliable global estimate of the number of marijuana smokers is currently available.

can i say: no reliable global estimate about the number of marijuana smokers is currently available.
    2. No, say the estimate of something. An estimate is a guess (usually an educated or informed guess) about the quantity, number, size, etc. of something, and should be used with of. Nor do you use about with the verb estimate. You don't estimate about something; you just estimate it.

(3) original one: .......,who live in places so barren that no drug-yielding plants can be cultivated.

A. .......,who live in places that are so barren that no drug-yielding plants can be cultivated.

B. .......,who live in places where the soil is (soils are ???) so barren that no drug-yielding plants can be cultivated.
    3. Yes to both A and B. Good job. In A, you're using the adjective clause that is reduced to an adjective phrase in the original. Similarly, in B you're doing basically the same thing--except in B you're using where as your relative pronoun. That's fine here. And yes, it's probably soil, which is normally uncountable (unless you're talking about different types of soil, which is theoretically possible here).

(4) original one: she decided not to show this letter to him in case he could recall the memory (or "should i say the fraction of/ in that memory")again and attack the person.

A. she had decided not to show this letter to him in case he could recall the memory again and attack the person.

B. she decided not to show this letter to him in case he could recall the memory again to attack the person.

C. she decided not to show this letter to him in case he could/ would/(omit any word here) recall the memory again and attack the person.
    4. First, forget about the part in pink about a fraction of that memory. Nobody would say that.

In A, of course you can say had decided (past perfect) instead of decided (past tense). You can change it to all kinds of verb tenses if you like--but that's not the question you should be asking. The only question you should be asking is whether the verb tense used is the appropriate one to express the intended meaning in the context in which the sentence appears. Is it? Is your intended meaning compatible with the past perfect? I can't answer that without any knowledge of the context or intended meaning. Only you can. Normally, contextual meaning dictates the choice of verb tense. For a sentence taken out of context, it's the other way around. The verb tense dictates the meaning. For an isolated sentence, if you change the tense, you change the meaning.

In B, no--saying to attack makes no sense. That almost makes it seem like an infinitive of purpose, as if he recalled the memory in order to attack the person. That's not the meaning.

In C, if you omit the modal, you need to have recall take the past tense. Also, would sounds a bit odd to me. Might seems OK.

last question: is this sentence "in which way should i say it "correct? or "which way i should say it in?" or just "what way should i say it?"
    How about "How should I say it?"

I understand your frustration. Hang in there, and try to expose yourself to as much good quality English material as you possibly can.

Hope this helps.

Greg
    Last edited by dragn; 04-Apr-2009 at 15:10.

Quote Originally Posted by dragn View Post
    Hi Funkygirl,

It might be better if you break something like this up into smaller, more manageable pieces (say, four maybe). I'm sure many teachers here would like to help you, but may take one look at a big laundry list of questions like this and decide to pass. A lot of people just don't have the time to tackle so many questions in one post.

No, you read it in a magazine. Use in for anything that you have to open to read, such as a book, magazine, newspaper, and so on.

1. No, the original is the correct way to say this. If you didn't do something you were supposed to, then we talk about your failure to do that. If something was supposed to work a certain way or do a certain job and it didn't, we talk about the failure of that thing. It failed. It broke. It malfunctioned. It didn't perform in the intended manner. Clearly, this last one is not the meaning here.

2. No, say the estimate of something. An estimate is a guess (usually an educated or informed guess) about the quantity, number, size, etc. of something, and should be used with of. Nor do you use about with the verb estimate. You don't estimate about something; you just estimate it.

3. Yes to both A and B. Good job. In A, you're using the adjective clause that is reduced to an adjective phrase in the original. Similarly, in B you're doing basically the same thing--except in B you're using where as your relative pronoun. That's fine here. And yes, it's probably soil, which is normally uncountable (unless you're talking about different types of soil, which is theoretically possible here).

4. First, forget about the part in pink about a fraction of that memory. Nobody would say that.

In A, of course you can say had decided (past perfect) instead of decided (past tense). You can change it to all kinds of verb tenses if you like--but that's not the question you should be asking. The only question you should be asking is whether the verb tense used is the appropriate one to express the intended meaning in the context in which the sentence appears. Is it? Is your intended meaning compatible with the past perfect? I can't answer that without any knowledge of the context or intended meaning. Only you can. Normally, contextual meaning dictates the choice of verb tense. For a sentence taken out of context, it's the other way around. The verb tense dictates the meaning. For an isolated sentence, if you change the tense, you change the meaning.

In B, no--saying to attack makes no sense. That almost makes it seem like an infinitive of purpose, as if he recalled the memory in order to attack the person. That's not the meaning.

In C, if you omit the modal, you need to have recall take the past tense. Also, would sounds a bit odd to me. Might seems OK.

How about "How should I say it?"

I understand your frustration. Hang in there, and try to expose yourself to as much good quality English material as you possibly can.

Hope this helps.

Greg
    Dear Greg,

thank you very much!!!!!! i treat you to have popcorn on here. xxxxxxxxxx

next time i'll definitely seperate my questions into more smaller parts.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Hi dafunkygirl

(1) failure to conform

(2) estimate of the number

(3) so barren / that are so barren

(4) She decided not to show the letter to him in case he recalled the memory and attack the person.

(5) How/In which way should I say it?

Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    Hi dafunkygirl

(1) failure to conform

(2) estimate of the number

(3) so barren / that are so barren

(4) She decided not to show the letter to him in case he recalled the memory and attack the person.

(5) How/In which way should I say it?
    thank you

i want to ask why in this sentence i should use recalled other than could recall? i wanted to express a kind of possibility for this action to be taken and if there is used recalled, should attact be changed into attacted? (by the way, is this sentence right?)