• Post Thanks / Like

Do These Sentences Sound Smooth To Native English Speakers?

Hi, dear teachers:

My aunt is a green card holder and she's now back in China. But she's diagnosed of breast cancer and has to stay here for over a year. Since green card holders are required to be back to America in less than a year, she's at the risk of losing her admission back into Amerca. But her health condition doesn't permit her to go back in time.

So I'm writing a letter on her behalf to U.S. Embassy. It's very important cuz you don't want to annoy the embassy officers with broken English. And here're two sentences I have difficulty with.

And now she has been in Beijing for 3 months and a half and the traditional Chinese medical therapy she's under demands her to stay here for over a year.
    Btw, does her last year's 3-month short stay in China have to be concluded in the one-year time limit? I mean, does that mean she can only stay in China for 12-3=9 months?
    (N.B.: My aunt came back to china and stayed for 3 months last summer and then went back to america. So I need to make sure if the 3-month short stay in China should be concluded in the one-year limit )

If possible and convenient, I need my sentences to be better phrased in more concise, more smooth, and better-to-understand way. If you don't have the time, just correct the grammer errors. thanks:)

Apologies for such a long question and many thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
    Jailbird

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do These Sentences Sound Smooth To Native English Speakers?

VividJailbird : please, pretty please, try to avoid texting-type abbreviations like 'cuz' for 'because'. You'll be surprised, English not being your native language, that these will slip out in formal situations, whether in speaking or writing, when they will make the least favourable impression. Get used to 'turning them on and off' - get used to using them when texting, and in a 'formal' setting (such as here, where we are all wanting to encourage English you can be proud of) use correct English and spelling (unless you are really conscious that you are doing it!)

As for your query: why not write the whole letter and post that. Then, with the combined efforts of forum members, you should have a very impressive missive.

• Post Thanks / Like

why not write the whole letter and post that.
    Thanks, David. I just feared that the whole letter would be too much a trouble for you teachers. So I picked only two sentences:)

And sorry, I'll try to take my spelling in mind. I'm too used to texting messages. *blushes*

• Post Thanks / Like

And sorry, I'll try to take my spelling in mind. I'm too used to texting messages. *blushes*

I really hope you were when you wrote that, and that I didn't make you

Bad boy, David. BAD boy!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

You don't have to write such a letter. All you need is an application form of Returning Resident (SB-1) visa available at any U.S.consular office in China. Fill it out for your aunt and wait for the answer. The link below has some useful infomation regarding the situation your aunt is experiencing:

Returning Resident Alien
    Permanent resident aliens who are unable to return to the United States within the travel validity period of the Alien Registration Receipt Card, or the Reentry Permit, may apply to the nearest U.S. consular office for a special immigrant Returning Resident (SB-1) visa. To qualify for such status aliens must show:--
    That they were lawful permanent residents when they departed the United States. -- That when they departed they intended to return to the United States and have maintained this intent: -- That they are returning from a temporary visit abroad and, if the stay was protracted, that it was caused by reasons beyond their control and for which they were not responsible; and -- That they are eligible for the immigrant visa in all other respects.
    Applicants who wish to apply for Returning Resident (SB-1) visas should contact the nearest consular office well in advance of their intended travel (at least three months in advance, if possible) to permit sufficient time for visa processing.
    If the returning Resident (SB-1) visa is refused on the grounds that the alien has given up his residence in the United States, it may or may not be possible to obtain a nonimmigrant visa, depending on whether the applicant has established a residence abroad to which he will return. If the applicant wishing to return to the United States cannot submit convincing evidence of compelling ties abroad he may have to apply for an immigrant visa on the same basis by which he immigrated originally, if that is possible.

• Post Thanks / Like

Hi, jiaruchan. Hearty thanks. That's most helpful. How come I didn't find anything about SB-1 on USCIS's website? But looks like I still need to write them a letter 'cause my aunt is very weak and can't go meet the visa officer in person. So I have to run all the errands on her behalf. Are you a visa attorney? I'll be sending you a PM in a while:)

I really hope you were :) when you wrote that, and that I didn't make you :'(
    Surely I wasn't depressed. Many thanks for your reminder, David. You're an excellent teacher.

I'm just worried that if my silly questions are too annoying for you teachers :)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VividJailbird View Post
    Hi, dear teachers:

My aunt is a green card holder and she's now back in China. But she's diagnosed of breast cancer and has to stay here for over a year. Since green card holders are required to be back to America in less than a year, she's at the risk of losing her admission back into Amerca. But her health condition doesn't permit her to go back in time.

So I'm writing a letter on her behalf to U.S. Embassy. It's very important because I don't want to annoy the embassy officers with broken English. And here are two sentences I have difficulty with.

(N.B.: My aunt came back to China and stayed for three months last summer and then went back to America. So I need to make sure that the three-month-long stay in China can be concluded in the one-year limit )

If possible and convenient, I need my sentences to be better phrased in more a concise, smoother, xxx easier-to-understand way. If you don't have the time, just correct the grammar errors. Thanks:)

Apologies for such a long question, and many thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
    Jailbird
    And now she has been in Beijing for three and a half months, and the traditional Chinese medical therapy she's under requires that she stay here for over a year.

By the way, does her three-month stay in China last year have to be included in the one-year time limit? That is, does that mean she can only stay in China for nine months?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post

I really hope you were when you wrote that, and that I didn't make you

Bad boy, David. BAD boy!
    David, some day we want to see you write a response entirely in Wal-Mart people!

• Post Thanks / Like

Are you implying, Mr. B., that my posts do, on occasion, go bling-bling with icons (of the variety equivalent to cheap costume jewellery)?

.......as a defiant gesture, since 'icon for wounded feelings that one's artistic flair is regarded as akin to spray-paint can graffiti' has been omitted from the available palette.
    How can I defend myself and counter such barbs without digitalized Existential avatars of my torment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scream.gif  
    Last edited by David L.; 12-Mar-2009 at 16:02.

• Post Thanks / Like

.......as a defiant gesture, since 'icon for wounded feelings that one's artistic flair is regarded as akin to spray-paint can graffiti' has been omitted from the available palette.
    Seriously, I'm so confused. Would you please explain your post word by word?

It's not that I don't understand what you mean. I just find it not grammatically correct. I'm sorry, I know you native English speaker can't be wrong. Then would you analyze the structure of it for me? Thanks!!

I know I sound like a fool