• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • Sri Lanka
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Confusion regarding Will, Would et al.

Hi friends, I'm confuse regarding the usage of will and would. Everytime I need to use either of them I found myself in confusion state. Same is the case with can and could, does and do not. So, Can/could (whichever is correct) somebody tell me --with eg.-- when to use these verbs ? From my side I'm giving u an example. Pls tell me should I use would or will in it.

E.g. - I will be available at times or I would be available at times. Which one is correct.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Joe333; 13-Mar-2009 at 16:32.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Re: Confusion regarding Will, Would et al.

Would and will are serious problems for many students and learners. I think your post will be discussed throughoutly.

T

T T

T

Quote Originally Posted by razer View Post
    E.g. - I will be available at times or I would be available at times. Which one is correct.

Thanks in advance
    In the first sentence you describe the situation as real. 'Would' in the second sentence makes it hypothetical, also dependent on some implied condition.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • Sri Lanka
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Thanks for ur replies chums but still I didn't get it utterly. Can somebody explain it more detail. Pls...

Thanks in advance

Let's build on what Clark posted:
    In the first sentence you describe the situation as real. 'Would' in the second sentence makes it hypothetical, also dependent on some implied condition.

In the sentence:
    "I will be available on Thursdays", the person is stating a fact: you will find me in my office (on campus) on Thursdays. (Students now know this, and if at some time in the future they need to talk to the lecturer, they know when and where he is available.

If two people were trying to arrange a mutually convenient time for a regular meeting, one might say, "I would be available on Thursdays at 4 p.m."
    Here, there is the 'implied condition" that Clark refers to. The full meaning of the sentence would be:
    " "I would be available on Thursdays at 4 p.m. if that's a good time for you. If not, let's try another day and time till we find a time we can both meet."
    As Clark pointed out, in such a sentence, "I" am suggesting a possibility, a hypothetical meeting time.

The trouble is, there are many more uses of 'will' in various situations, and the same with 'would'.
    Could I suggest you build on what has been posted so far, and post any more confusing uses of these two words. Remember, which word is used depends on the situation/what the two people are actually talking about.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • Sri Lanka
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Could I suggest you build on what has been posted so far, and post any more confusing uses of these two words. Remember, which word is used depends on the situation/what the two people are actually talking about.
    Ok. First of all thanks for helping and sorry for not reverting. I'd no examples to build on that's why I didn't show up. Since I've doubts again I'm appearing once again.

My new doubt is regarding this sentence.

Sentence : We'd not only belittles him but also insults him.

Here I want to ask to the experts what should I use: We would(we'd) or We will(We'll). Which one is grammatarically correct. I'd/I'll be more than happy if u could also tell me that have correctly used the "s" in bellitlle or insult or not.
    Last edited by Joe333; 20-Mar-2009 at 20:18.

Quote Originally Posted by razer View Post
    Ok.
    Sentence : We'd not only belittles him but also insults him.

Here I want to ask to the experts what should I use: We would(we'd) or We will(We'll). Which one is grammatarically correct. I'd/I'll be more than happy if u could also tell me that have correctly used the "s" in bellitlle or insult or not.
    Remove 's' and the sentence will be correct.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • Sri Lanka
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Remove 's' and the sentence will be correct.
    Thanks. Though your earlier explanation regarding would and will was very helpful. But it'd be more helpful if u could give some more lucid and indepth examples regarding that ? And, yes, I more doubt why u removed "s" from the words ? Is it because we are addresing first person ( "we" would ) ? Right ?
    Last edited by Joe333; 20-Mar-2009 at 20:43.