Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Albanian
Home Country
Albania
Current Location
Albania
I wanted to ask about the proverb *Lies have short legs*. Does it emploies a metephor or personification. I had an debate with my theory of literature teacher about this topic. She said that it emploied a personification whereas I said a metaphor.
Please, give me a well facted answer to make cleat this topic.
Thank you! :)

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
eurekateam said:
I wanted to ask about the proverb *Lies have short legs*. Does it emploies a metephor or personification. I had an debate with my theory of literature teacher about this topic. She said that it emploied a personification whereas I said a metaphor.
Please, give me a well facted answer to make cleat this topic.
Thank you! :)
Within the word personification there's the word 'person'. If what you are describing has the attributes of a person, then you're using personification.

The difference between personification and metaphor is that metapor is a comparison made by referring to one thing as another. For example,

Life is a beach.
No man is an island.

Above, Life is being compared to a beach, and humans are being compared to an island.

If we add in the word "like", we get a simile. Note the letters 'simil-', it means, similar. When you are comparing two things that are not 100% the same, but that have a degree of similarity, then it's a simile.

Life is not a beach, but it's like a beach. (Simile)
Life is a beach. They are one and the same. (Metaphor)

Lies have short legs. (Personification)

'Lies' is a thing and 'legs' belong to beings that walk, which is what 'Lies have short legs' is referring to: Lies don't last long. If you tell one, you're to be found out (as a liar) sooner or later.

eurekateam

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Albanian
Home Country
Albania
Current Location
Albania
thank you! You were wery clear. :)

eurekateam

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Albanian
Home Country
Albania
Current Location
Albania
find my threads?

Can you show me how I can find the threads I post more easily because I find some difficulties with it.
Thank you!

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Re: find my threads?

eurekateam said:
Can you show me how I can find the threads I post more easily because I find some difficulties with it.
Thank you!
Do you mean the question about 'not to go' and 'to not go', and if so, click here.

You can find your posts by clicking on the words User CP, located at the top of the page, or you can click on your name, located at the top of your post. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.