• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Portugal
      • Current Location:
      • Portugal

Question Learning from mistakes

Hello you all! It's been a long time I haven't visited this sooooo.... useful Forum. The reason is that I've been so busy at school. And next week I have a new challenge. I'll have a 45minutes lesson which will be watched by a "trainer" teacher, for my career evaluation. The topic of the lesson will be "Learning from mistakes" (is this expression correct?), and I was thinking of showing the students some tranparencies with pictures , illustrating the mistakes they often make, specially in translations and with "false friends", so that they can really SEE how weird their mistakes are! My problem is : I am not sure about the methodology I should use in this lesson, so I'd be so grateful that any senior teacher (or anyone with good will)could give me some hints about it. I'll be waiting for your answers very anxiously, because I'm feeling a bit lost, although I've been teaching for 20 years now!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Learning from mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by Seagull View Post
    Hello you all! It's been a long time I haven't visited this sooooo.... useful Forum. The reason is that I've been so busy at school. And next week I have a new challenge. I'll have a 45minutes lesson which will be watched by a "trainer" teacher, for my career evaluation. The topic of the lesson will be "Learning from mistakes" (is this expression correct?), and I was thinking of showing the students some tranparencies with pictures , illustrating the mistakes they often make, specially in translations and with "false friends", so that they can really SEE how weird their mistakes are! My problem is : I am not sure about the methodology I should use in this lesson, so I'd be so grateful that any senior teacher (or anyone with good will)could give me some hints about it. I'll be waiting for your answers very anxiously, because I'm feeling a bit lost, although I've been teaching for 20 years now!
    During my CELTA I observed a lesson where the teacher taught from mistakes as a matter of routine. He would set a pair or group activity, circulate to advise and comment (and at the same time make a note of errors). During the last five mins of the activity he would write them on the board (you could use an OHP if you prefer), and then base a game or competition (or just a free-for-all) when he invited Ss to come up to correct - and, if necessary, correct the corrections.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Portugal
      • Current Location:
      • Portugal

Thumbs up Re: Learning from mistakes

Bob, thanks for your suggestion. Please let me know if you have further suggestions.

Kind regards
    Manuela Rocha

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Learning from mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by Seagull View Post
    Bob, thanks for your suggestion. Please let me know if you have further suggestions.

Kind regards
    Manuela Rocha
    Glad to help, Manuela. (Incidentally, I just re-read your first post, and I am person of goodwill rather than a senior teacher - senior (in years) and a teacher, but I have nothing like your experience.)

I've been thinking about your observer. Trainee teachers are used to spending hours preparing resources, so they're more likely to be impressed by your ability to teach with minimal resources. I think it would be a mistake to over-prepare. Unless your idea/resources 'catch on', you risk losing track of your lesson objectives (because you feel over-protective of resources that you have spent a long time preparing) - that's a mistake I often make

b