• Post Thanks / Like

try to understand it

Dear teachers,
    While reading I came across a sentence that is quite problematic to express in my native language, can you explain it to me in English?
    The sentence is as follows:
    Jane Austen's self-contained life often seems reflected in her novels, which, peopled as they are by impoverished clerical families, eligible country squires, foolish snobs and husband-hunting women, appear to portray the world in miniature.

I have problems with self-contained and portraying the world in miniature, can you explain it to me somehow?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: try to understand it

Quote Originally Posted by cat's_eyes View Post
    Dear teachers,
    While reading I came across a sentence that is quite problematic to express in my native language, can you explain it to me in English?
    The sentence is as follows:
    Jane Austen's self-contained life often seems reflected in her novels, which, peopled as they are by impoverished clerical families, eligible country squires, foolish snobs and husband-hunting women, appear to portray the world in miniature.

I have problems with self-contained and portraying the world in miniature, can you explain it to me somehow?
    I have a problem with the self-contained also. Where did you find the sentence?

As for the world in miniature, that means that Jan Austen's novels seem to have just about every type of person that you would find in the whole world. All people seem to be represented.

I am not a teacher.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: try to understand it

Thanks for "the world in a miniature"
    It's a review on one of Austen's books. I suppose it means that she limited the number of people she met and the number of places she visited. It was just her house and the nearest neighbourhood where sie lived. But it's only a supposition, I'll wait for a better explanation.